Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EVO 100 wheel pilot connection to B&G nema 2000
07-03-16, 09:23 AM
EVO 100 wheel pilot connection to B&G nema 2000
I have recently purchased an EVO 100 wheel pilot (sail) and am just finishing the install. The wheel pilot needs to be connected to an existing B&G Triton instrument package (speed / depth / wind). The B&G system has a "nema 2000" backbone cable.
Questions are as follows;
1) Do the Raymarine / nema 2000 and the B&G nema 2000 backbone cables have to be connected "end to end" or can the Raymarine backbone be connected to any "T" connector in the existing B&G backbone.
2) What is the Raymarine adapter cable required to connect the 2 backbone cables? Is it one of the following AO6045, AO6075, AO6076 or AO6046 dependent on length and gender of the end connectors?
3) I assume that the Raymarine backbone will not require a 12 volt feed as the B&G backbone is already powered. Is this correct?
4) Anything else that I need to be aware of?

Bob Hickson
C&C 29 mk 2
bobhickson@rogers.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-16, 10:27 AM
RE: EVO 100 wheel pilot connection to B&G nema 2000
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1) Do the Raymarine / nema 2000 and the B&G nema 2000 backbone cables have to be connected "end to end" or can the Raymarine backbone be connected to any "T" connector in the existing B&G backbone.
A1) The SeaTalkng backbone will not be interfaced as a spur to the B&G NMEA 2000 backbone. Instead, the backbones will need to be merged (ex. end to end as you have suggested).

Q2) What is the Raymarine adapter cable required to connect the 2 backbone cables? Is it one of the following AO6045, AO6075, AO6076 or AO6046 dependent on length and gender of the end connectors?
A2) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3) I assume that the Raymarine backbone will not require a 12 volt feed as the B&G backbone is already powered. Is this correct?
A3) Correct. When powering a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, the power insertion spur should be installed at the approximate mid-point of the combined backbone's LEN load.

Q4) Anything else that I need to be aware of?
A4) No.
07-05-16, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry, but are the device net adapter cables not what I need to connect the Raymarine backbone cable to the B&G backbone cable. The following link to your website implies that this is the cable that I need;

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=1614

I find it hard to believe that I have to cut both backbone cables and solder the appropriate wires together
07-05-16, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 03:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

The cables offered by Raymarine are designed for use within spurs, not for use in joining backbones. As indicated within the FAQ which I had referenced within my initial response, field installable DeviceNet plugs are recommended for joining a SeaTalkng backbone to a third party backbone featuring DeviceNet plugs/sockets. Raymarine is considering introduction of SeaTalkng Backbone to DeviceNet (M) and SeaTalkng Backbone to DeviceNet (F) Adapter Cables to support such joining of backbones.
07-05-16, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-16 07:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The FAQS that you referenced mentioned Maretron as a source for the needed adapter plugs / cables. Can you give me any assistance with a Maretron part number?
07-06-16, 07:47 AM
Bob,

Should you have clicked on the Maretron link within the referenced FAQ, it would have displayed Maretron's web page including pdf containing all pertinent information for Micro / mid field-attachable connectors Straight Male and Micro / mid field-attachable connectors Straight Female: http://maretron.com/products/pdf/Micro%2...sheets.pdf
07-06-16, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-16 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply ... the terminology is like another language to me. I think that I finally understand. I will order the Maretron adapter. Just have to check if I need the male or female adapter.
07-06-16, 02:45 PM
You're welcome.
01-06-17, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-17 10:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Base your company produced the new cables. It would be a big help. If so part no would be helpful.
Jim " working on his sons boat" Ory
01-09-17, 11:33 AM
Jim,

Raymarine has not yet produced SeaTalkng Backbone to DeviceNet (M) and SeaTalkng Backbone to DeviceNet (M) Adapters. When such adapters have been released, they will be added to the adapters found on Raymarine's NMEA 2000 / SeaTalkng web page and included within the corresponding FAQ.