Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connecting other namufacturers NMEA 2000 compliant devices to the Seatalk ng backbone
07-04-16, 10:55 AM
connecting other namufacturers NMEA 2000 compliant devices to the Seatalk ng backbone
I have the EV-1 autopilot with the P70R controller. I have connected a Garmin GPSMap 527xs to the Seatalk ng backbone. This GPS is NMEA 2000 compliant.
The Garmin GPS chartplotter recognizes all the Raymarine devices but the Raymarine P70R controller does not recognize the Garmin GPS.
I have read everything I can find about this problem but with no help. The configuration settings in the P70R for which data source to choose is not explained well in the instructions. It doesn’t matter which data source I choose. The error message appears that says “source selection not possible. Consult manual for more information”. But the manual does not help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-16, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-16 03:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: connecting other namufacturers NMEA 2000 compliant devices to the Seatalk ng backbone
Bill,

Data Source Selection may not be supported with some third party products. After commanding your third party chartplotter to Go To a waypoint / cursor position, can you then command your autopilot into Track mode via the autopilot control head (i.e. AUTO->TRACK->TRACK)? If so, then the the autopilot is communicating with your third party chartplotter. If not, then please specify the version of software (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM) which is installed within the following autopilot components: EV Sensor Core, ACU, p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head.
07-15-16, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-16 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: connecting other namufacturers NMEA 2000 compliant devices to the Seatalk ng backbone
Having same issue with Humminbird 999ci. It see's everything except P70. Trying to use 999ci built in GPS
07-18-16, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum action21,

It is not possible for third party chartplotting products to engage the autopilot's Auto and Track modes or to command the autopilot into Standby mode. When integrating with a third party chartplotter, it will be possible to use the autopilot's control head to command the autopilot into Auto and Standby modes. When navigation (i.e. go to waypoint / cursor position or follow route) has been commanded via third party chartplotter, then it will additionally be possible to command the autopilot into Track mode via the autopilot control head (i.e. AUTO->TRACK->TRACK)? If so, then the autopilot would be deemed to be communicating with your third party chartplotter. If not, then please specify the version of software (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM) which is installed within the following autopilot components: EV Sensor Core, ACU, p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head.
07-21-16, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-16 08:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck- thank you for your reply. I have discovered that my P70R control head does indeed communicate with the Garmin Chartplotter. I just have to ignore the data selection section. I have no idea why that section is there if it is irrelevant.
Anyway, if I choose TRACK the autopilot and GPS communicate and it all works.
Why have the section on data source in the configuration settings if they don't recognize anything. And why can't the autopilot recognize a thrid party GPS chartplotter connected with NMEA 2000 compliant cables?

Thank you for allowing it to work anyway with the Garmin Chartplotter.
07-22-16, 08:35 AM
Bill,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated within the FAQ, should the system not feature more than one source for a type of data (ex. GPS, wind, depth, etc.) then the Data Sources feature need not be exercised.