Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evoluion will not working properly
08-24-16, 10:51 AM
Evoluion will not working properly
I recently updated the software for my electronics which included the AP. The instructions included the need to recalibrate the AP so I went ahead and did the dock side wizard and everything appeared fine with the compass on my AP matching my manual compass.

The problem occurs when I hit auto, it begins tracking then turns hard to starboard and wants to go in a circle, the alarm goes off telling me I am heading off course. It then will turn to the Port all the way and then back to the starboard and continue doing that. It worked fine prior to the last software upgrade.

I followed the instruction here to a T a few times and no improvement. http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=904

I also read about switching the wires but it was working fine prior to the upgrade so I don't know how that would fix it.

Any idea on what I am missing?

I have ACU-200 and the P70R Control on a 34' open fisherman.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-16, 03:41 PM
RE: Evoluion will not working properly
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Saltydawg,

Approximately how fast was the boat operating when you observed the reported autopilot behavior?

What have you configured the autopilot's Response Level to?

When examining the autopilot's diagnostics, what was the maximum deviation value detected by the autopilot?

Has the autopilot been fitted with a rudder reference transducer? When tied to dockside, at anchor, or while drifting, if the the vessel's wheel is turned to starboard, does the autopilot's rudder bar indicate that the rudder has moved to starboard? When the vessel's wheel is turned to port, does the autopilot's rudder bar indicate that the rudder has moved to port?

While still stationary, if the the autopilot is commanded into AUTO and then +10 degrees of turn is commanded, does the rudder bar indicate that the rudder has moved to starboard as a result of the command? While still stationary, if the the autopilot is commanded into AUTO and then -10 degrees of turn is commanded, does the rudder bar indicate that the rudder has moved to port as a result of the command?

Is the vessel fitted with a speed through water sensor (ex. fishfinder transducer w/paddlewheel, etc.)?
08-25-16, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-16 08:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
1. 5-10 mph
2. 3
3. No rudder reference transducer that I am aware of
4. Yes it shows the rudder bar has been turned
5. No paddlewheel not sure but the only way it would get the speed is through the GPS
08-26-16, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-16 12:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Saltydawg,

2. Response Level values are Performance, Cruising, and Leisure, not 1, 2, and 3 ... it is recommended that you verify that this setting has been configured to Performance. It is possible that you meant to specify that the maximum detected deviation was 3 deg?

3 & 4. Greatest performance, particularly when operating at slow speed, will occur when the autopilot has been fitted with a rudder reference transducer. The rudder reference transducer will be interfaced to the ACU's rudder terminals. As your responses to 3 & 4 conflict with the expected results and the vessel is experiencing low speed performance issues, should setting the Response Level not correct the problem then it would be recommended that the ACU be inspected to determine whether it has been fitted with a rudder reference transducer. If not, then it is accordingly recommended that the vessel be fitted with one. If fitted with a rudder reference transducer, then it is recommended that it be tested in accordance with information found here.

5. When a Databox within the MFD has been configured to show the SPEED (not SOG) data item, is it populated with data or does it display dashes?

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to determine the software level of each of the devices within your system. Have the electronics all been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates ... we're trying to identify whether there may be a fault with the latest software?
08-26-16, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-16 12:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I attached the configuration of the boat electronics as designed by Raymarine.
08-26-16, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-16 12:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Saltydawg,

Thanks for sending the requested diagram ... it does not appear that the autopilot has been fitted with a rudder reference transducer ... this may significantly improve autopilot performance when operating a low speed.

Awaiting the response level data.

Please also indicate how the following autopilot configuration item has been set: MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->SPEED INPUT

Finally, please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to determine the software level of each of the devices within your system. Have the electronics all been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates ... we're trying to identify whether there may be a fault with the latest software?

Thanks
08-30-16, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-16 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I have been out of town but have been researching this. the response level is Performance and the speed input is set to GPS. As far as the software upgrades, yes all seem to up to date. The only one I have a question about is the RS130 GPS that states 2.20 but when I look at the software level it shows there was an update in Oct 15 but yet the latest software upgrade doesn't seem to have it so I am not sure if the 2.20 is the latest or not.

One thing that I have been hearing is that many users after the upgrade have had issues with the motor polarity and have had to switch it. When I was doing the dockside wizard I thought mine was correct because my outboards were turning to the side it called out (ie: port and starboard) but then it was pointed out to me that it was confusing, that I should really be looking at the props and if that is the case my engines are turning the opposite way which would lead me to believe that my engine polarity is the issue. I will switch it and report back.
08-31-16, 09:59 AM
Saltydawg,

Should the Select Device list specify that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor's software level is v2.20, then it has been successfully updated.

Should you have reset the autopilot as directed, then all prior configuration settings, including drive polarity, would have been deleted. Please indicate whether the drive moved the rudder/motor/drive in the correct direction when the Dockside Wizard was executed and if not, whether you then either reversed the leads connected to the ACU's motor terminals or reversed the drive polarity via the Dockside Wizard to correct the polarity. Please indicate whether upon completion, you then took the boat out for a cruise and completed the Detecting Magnetics (determines the vessel's deviation table) ... if so, what is the maximum detected deviation value specified within the autopilot's diagnostics? Please additionally indicate the make/model of hydraulic pump which has been interfaced to the ACU-200.
08-31-16, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-16 11:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I changed the polarity leads and ran it in my canal last night for an hr and it appears to have fixed the problem, but I will take it out this weekend to ensure it is working properly.

Will keep you posted.