Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i40 Power Output for Depth Sounding
09-05-16, 04:54 PM
i40 Power Output for Depth Sounding
1/ What power output (Wrms) to the transducer do your i40 Bidata and Depth units produce?

2/ Also, my existing 6 blade paddle wheel might work even though it appears your i40 uses a 4 blade paddlewheel. According to your i40 instruction manual, your calibration allows for anywhere from .25 to 2.5 multiples of speed, so I would think 0.67 would work when using a 6 blade paddlewheel vs a 4 blade one (of course I may not have thought this through 100%...LOL). Does this sound correct?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-16, 02:42 PM
RE: i40 Power Output for Depth Sounding
Hello Eggbert,
1/ What power output (Wrms) to the transducer do your i40 Bidata and Depth units produce?

A1) 50 watts RMS.

2/ Also, my existing 6 blade paddle wheel might work even though it appears your i40 uses a 4 blade paddlewheel. According to your i40 instruction manual, your calibration allows for anywhere from .25 to 2.5 multiples of speed, so I would think 0.67 would work when using a 6 blade paddlewheel vs a 4 blade one (of course I may not have thought this through 100%...LOL). Does this sound correct?

A2) The main question for compatibility is what is the part number of the transducer itself? There should be a physical white tag wrapped around the wire 5 feet back from either end of the transducer that has that information printed on it.
09-06-16, 03:27 PM
I'm interested in connecting two i40 Bidata displays up for speed and depth. It occurred to me that the transducer already installed in my boat might be compatible. It was going to come out, and still may, however I thought I'd ask about it here.

My existing transducer is an Apelco M78868 which was used in the old Apelco 360 system. From what I can find out, it is a 200kHz transducer with a max power rating of 250Wrms. Here's a schematic for it:

[Image: M78868schematic_zpsbg08cpyp.jpg]
09-12-16, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-16 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Eggbert,

The M78868 fishfinder transducer may be instead interfaced to an i40 Bidata Instrument. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.