Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Electronics
10-31-16, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-16 08:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: New Electronics
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1/2) The Vesper AIS is NMEA 0183 compatible, so I will connect the AIS output to the #1 input only NMEA 0183 port of the master MFD, and set that port at 38,400 Baud. To get the GPS signal to the VHF radio I will set the input/output #2 port of the master MFD to 4,800 Baud and connect that output to the input of the VHF radio.
A1/2) Please note that within an Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, NMEA 0183 devices may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 port of any MFD within the system. Only MFD's which have been powered ON will process data or transmit data via their NMEA 0183 ports. Please additionally note that while the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 is an I/O port, its NMEA 0183 Port 2 is an input-only port. When the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs have been interfaced via an Ethernet nework, all system data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the network of MFDs.

Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature 38400/4800 multiplexing permitting data from a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 talker to be multiplexed with AIS data to in turn be transmitted to the MFD. Additionally, the multiplexing feature of Raymarine Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers permit system data received from the MFD to in turn be transmitted to up to three 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listeners which have been interfaced to the MFD. Accordingly, is is recommended that third party AIS receivers and transceivers lacking this 38400/4800 multiplexing feature be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 (IN-ONLY) and that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 be configured for 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications (AIS 38400). The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 may then be interfaced to the DSC VHF radio to supply it with GPS data and to additionally support have the VHF radio supply the MFD with DSC position reports.

Q3/Q4) To get the heading sensor data to the master MFD I will connect one of the NMEA 0183 output ports of my existing Raymarine computer to the input of the input/output #2 port on the master MFD. To get heading sensor data to the repeater MFD I will connect the NMEA 0183 #1 input port of the repeater MFD to the output of the #2 port of the master MFD (thus, the #2 output port of the master MFD will be connected to both the VHF and the repeater MFD).
A3/A4) Please note that only a limited set of Raymarine autopilot course computers featured support for transmission of 5Hz or 10Hz stabilized heading (the latter is required for MARPA radar features). These included the S1G (5Hz), S2G, S3G, X5 (5HZ), X10, and X30 Autopilot Course Computers. Should you opt to forego VHF radio supply the MFD with DSC position reports, then the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot course computer instead be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 IN leads.

Q5) First of all, does all of the above appear to be appropriate for the desired network connections?
A5) No. Please see the responses to Q1-Q4 above.

Q6) Will the Raynet hs cable carry the data from the internal GPS antenna in the master MFD to the repeater MFD, or do I need to use a Seatalk ng cable from the master to the repeater for the GPS data?
A6) Yes. Within and Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, all data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the networked MFDs.

Q7) I would like to have AIS available at the repeater MFD, but there will no remaining NMEA 0183 output port on the master MFD to provide this data. Would there be a problem with connecting the output from the Vesper AIS transponder to both the master and the repeater MFD #1 input only ports? This would provide the required 38,000 Baud to both MFD's, but in this case the master MFD would not be actually be a "master" as far as the AIS data is concerned. If this setup is a problem, do I need to setup a Seatalk ng backbone in order to get the AIS signal from the master MFD to the repeater MFD?
A7) Within and Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, all data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the networked MFDs. Accordingly, the AIS receiver/transceiver need be and should be only interfaced to one of the MFDs.

Q8) I was initially planning to install a Quantum radar unit, using both power and data cables, but have read on an earlier Raymarine forum that the Quantum is considered inferior in performance to the Raymarine RD418HD radar. I am a bit confused about this, since my understanding is that at shorter ranges, the Quantum has superior definition as compared to the RD418HD radar. Since I am installing the radar on a gimballed mount at about 14' above water level I don't expect that the 48 mile range of the RD418HD, compared to the 24 mile range of the Quantum is a critical factor (since I am unlikely to pickup even large targets much beyond 20 miles). Additionally, since the radar will be installed on a cruising sailboat, the energy saving features of instant on and much lower energy use at both standby and transmit are significant factors to consider. I'm not sure how important the dual range and 48rpm features of the RD418HD are, since my current radar does not have these features. Any thoughts on this?
A8) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. While the Quantum radome's close in performance may be slightly better than the RD418HD, the RD424HD radome is the equivalent or better in all other features except for power consumption. The over the horizon range of the HD and Super HD radars primarily support tracking storms and providing the power to punch through weather. Quantum radomes are extremely popular among the sailing community due to their excellent performance and very low power consumption. In the end, the decision will need to based upon how you intend to use the radar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Electronics - BosSH - 10-30-16, 02:37 PM
RE: New Electronics - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-31-16 12:50 PM
RE: New Electronics - BosSH - 10-31-16, 03:48 PM
RE: New Electronics - BosSH - 11-01-16, 01:41 PM
RE: New Electronics - BosSH - 11-02-16, 07:04 AM
RE: New Electronics - BosSH - 11-03-16, 11:58 AM