Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have e127 with digital sonar, adding a98 with CHIRP
11-16-16, 11:59 AM
Have e127 with digital sonar, adding a98 with CHIRP
I have an e127 with digital sonar in use. Although still functional, I am replacing my old L750 with an a98. I plan to use the e127 full time for navigation and the a98 full time for CHIRP down vision sonar. Should I connect the two units? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of connecting them?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-16, 01:37 PM
RE: Have e127 with digital sonar, adding a98 with CHIRP
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum On Time,

The advantage of interfacing the two MFDs to one another via an Ethernet network is that they will share all of the system's resources and data. Such integration will provide a greater degree of flexibility in how the MFDs are use, may simplify the installation, and may reduce cost through elimination of duplicated hardware. Finally, there is a level of redundancy provided though such integration whereby should one of the MFDs suffer a failure, the other MFD could assume its tasks. If seeking such redundancy, it would be recommended that two or more of the MFDs be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone, thereby permitting either MFD to be designated as the system's Data Master. With the understanding that the communications interfaces of an a/c/e/eS-Series MFD which has been switched OFF will not be operational, many seeking such redundancy will also interface the devices having an Ethernet communications interface (ex. a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, SR150, CP470, Digital/HD Digital/SuperHD Digital Radar, Thermal Camera, IP cameras, etc.) to one another via a HS5 RayNet Network Switch(es).
11-16-16, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-16 04:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. If both units would always be on and used together at the same time, would the Sea Talk backbone be the most usable and versatile interface?
11-16-16, 04:47 PM
On Time,

Unlike the Ethernet network of which I had previously spoken, the SeaTalkng backbone only support communications of relatively low bandwidth GPS, instrument, engine, alarm, and system state data. It is strongly recommended that these MFDs be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network as described within my initial response.
11-16-16, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-16 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sounds like Ethernet is the way to go. In addition to what comes in the box, what other cables or equipment are needed to connect via Ethernet and where can I find instructions? Is there a link you could provide?

Thanks!
11-17-16, 09:54 AM
On Time,

You may find information concerning how Ethernet networking works and Ethernetworking components here as well as within the eS-Series MFDs Installation Guide. Should both MFDs typically be ON when the system is being used and each have an un-used Ethernet NETWORK socket, then the MFDs may simply be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
11-17-16, 10:18 AM
Great, this is what I will do. Thanks!
11-17-16, 10:55 AM
You're welcome.