Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raynet cables
01-11-17, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-17 09:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Raynet cables
Chuck,

Thank you for the reply to my message.

I suspect that whomever is manufacturing these Raynet cables is not meeting the required specifications, since the diameter of the 10m cables is not the same as that of the 5 meter cables. I just measured the diameters with a dial caliper and got the following diameters: 10m cable: .025-.026 5m cable: .023-.024

I realize that .002 is not a great difference, but they measure with a consistent difference over their lengths, appear by eye to be of different diameters, and have a different "feel"; i.e., the shorter cable feels rougher, as if the individual wires can be felt through the outer cable; the longer cable feels smoother, except for the areas that have kinks in them. Additionally, the shorter cables have a greater number of kinks in them.

As I noted in an earlier post, I hesitate to install these cables in their current condition. Unfortunately, this is holding up the entire installation, and as I also mentioned in an earlier post, this is the third set of cables that I have ordered from West Marine that have arrived in this condition.

I will resize the photos that I have taken, and also try to take additional photos which capture the difference in cable diameters; however, it would certainly be preferable to me to obtain some new cables that do not have the defects that I have described, so that I can move forward with my installation. It is also the case that none of the previous installations of marine electronics that I have completed or observed have been provided with cables that have the appearance of the Raynet cables I have in hand.

Regards,
Bob S
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Raynet cables - BosSH - 12-27-16, 10:12 PM
RE: Raynet cables - Istream - 01-10-17, 10:42 AM
RE: Raynet cables - BosSH - 01-10-17, 12:37 PM
RE: Raynet cables - Istream - 01-10-17, 01:45 PM
RE: Raynet cables - BosSH - 01-11-17 06:48 PM
RE: Raynet cables - BosSH - 01-11-17, 07:44 PM
RE: Raynet cables - Istream - 01-12-17, 10:33 PM