Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade.
02-03-17, 11:51 AM
RE: Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bradley,

Q1. I'm planning on using my SPX-10 course computer to power a SeaTalkng network using SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter(s) to tie in devices on the existing SeaTalk1 network.
A1. The SPX-10 has relatively limited power output to SeaTalkng and it is generally recommended that it not be used to power a backbone featuring more than a three devices. Instead, it is recommended that its power switch be configured to the OFF position and that the SeaTalkng backbone be powered from a 12VDC circuit ... it is so recommended for your system and considered a best practice for powering marine electronics.

Q2. The SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter installation manual states that a RS125 GPS antenna must have a dedicated SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter. No other devices can be on that SeaTalk1 spur. Is this still the case even with the converter's firmware/software fully updated?
A2. Unfortunately, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's manual hasn't been updated since the Converter was introduced. Should a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be updated with the latest software, it may be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus having up to five devices having a SeaTalk communications interface.

Q3. I'll be connecting the SPX-10 to the MFD through the new SeaTalkNG network. Should I connect my ST6001 control head directly to the SPX-10 with a SeaTalk1 cable or should I connect the ST6001 to the SeaTalk1 spur that will be connected to the SeaTalkNG network via the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter?
A3. The ST6001 AP Control Head along with the RS125 GPS Sensor should be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus that will be interfaced to SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SPX10 should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced to the system only via a spur cable which will be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone. The SPX10 software should be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update (performed via the e125 MFD).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another SeaTalk 1 system upgrade. - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-03-17 11:51 AM