Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120 / AIS Problem
02-12-17, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-17 03:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
E120 / AIS Problem
Hi All

We recently purchased a new to us Trawler. It has Raymarine E120 & E80 MFD's, radar and auto pilot.

I noticed that the software on the MFD's was about 4 Revs levels out of date. So after much effort I was able to get both MFD's to the latest/last revision.

The new problem now is the AIS is not showing any target data. A RED X on the AIS icon on the display. Prior to the upgrade the AIS worked fine. No re-connections or wiring changes were made. The AIS is a SR 161 receiver connected via a Brookhouse MUX.

I have verified that the MFD is set for AIS 38400. I can find no other setting within the various menu pages???

I have also verified that the AIS is streaming data via computer and Open CPN.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-17, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-17 03:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: E120 / AIS Problem
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, it is additionally recommended that the BAUD rate of the AIS receiver/transceiver be verified to be 38400 BAUD. Please additionally note that the Brookhouse MUX is typically used as a data bridge between SeaTalk and NMEA 0183. It should be noted that SeaTalk communications protocol does not support AIS data communications. Per the FAQ referenced above, the AIS transceiver must be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 port.
02-14-17, 02:16 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have previously been through the FAQ link on AIS.

The AIS _ MFD functioned correctly prior to the MFD software upgrade. There have been no wiring/connection changes. The AIS is still outputting data via CPN program.
Something within the software upgrade has changed the the MFD settings.

Thanks Tom
02-14-17, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-17 03:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom,

The only settings which need be configured within the MFD are those which have been specified within the previously referenced FAQ. The FAQ which I had referenced identified a very specific set of troubleshooting actions to be performed, and the results of some of these items have not yet been reported by you. For example, when the MFD's NMEA 0183 buffer was inspected, what, if any NMEA 0183 sentences were being reported as being received by the MFD? If none were reported, then was the wraparound test of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port performed. If so, what were the results of the wraparound test for the MFD's NMEA 0183 port? Also, my comments regarding the Brookhouse MUX are valid and as noted the MFD would not be able to receive AIS data via its SeaTalk communications port ... the MFD can only receive AIS data via its NMEA 0183 port. What is the communications BAUD rate of the data being transmitted to the MFD?