Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA 0183 to 2000 Conversion & Axiom
04-10-17, 10:54 AM
NMEA 0183 to 2000 Conversion & Axiom
I want to add an Actisense NGW-1-ISO to my existing system.

My existing system consists of three E-120 classic MFDs and has both a NMEA 0183 bus and a NMEA 2000 bus.
Display #1 (Master) connections are: 1) NMEA 0183 connection-input (muxed signals from GPS, Heading Sensor, and Auto Pilot) and output to NMEA 0183 bus "listeners" (ACR locator beacon (GPS and Time); iCom VHF radio (GPS and time)) ; 2) Pathfinder Radar connection; 3) Seatalk2 connection from NMEA 2000 bus (Trim Tab Sensors and Weather Station); 4) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch (SR-100; DSM-300; E-120 MFDs x2 repeater units); 5) Video Camera inputs and 6) VGA output to a VGA monitor in the main salon.
Display #2 (Repeater) connections are: 1) NMEA 0183 AIS input from Raymarine AIS-650; 2) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch.
Display #3 (Repeater) connections are: 1) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch.

Questions:
Are there any issues with added the NGW-1 to the NMEA 0183 muxed signals (Display #1; Connection #1)?

Assuming there are no issues, could I then reconfigure the NMEA 0183 input on display #1 to receive the AIS-650 and continue to use the output wire pair for the "listeners" on the NMEA 0183 bus?

If this all works, at some future date I would add a stand-alone AXIOM 12 with 3D Realvision after the thru hull sender becomes available. I would then like to connect the AXIOM to the NMEA 2000 bus so it has all of the other E-120 "non-graphical" data. Will that work?

Thanks,
Jon Spain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-17, 01:50 PM
RE: NMEA 0183 to 2000 Conversion & Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jon,

Q1: My existing system consists of three E-120 classic MFDs and has both a NMEA 0183 bus and a NMEA 2000 bus.
Display #1 (Master) connections are: 1) NMEA 0183 connection-input (muxed signals from GPS, Heading Sensor, and Auto Pilot) and output to NMEA 0183 bus "listeners" (ACR locator beacon (GPS and Time); iCom VHF radio (GPS and time)) ; 2) Pathfinder Radar connection; 3) Seatalk2 connection from NMEA 2000 bus (Trim Tab Sensors and Weather Station); 4) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch (SR-100; DSM-300; E-120 MFDs x2 repeater units); 5) Video Camera inputs and 6) VGA output to a VGA monitor in the main salon.
Display #2 (Repeater) connections are: 1) NMEA 0183 AIS input from Raymarine AIS-650; 2) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch.
Display #3 (Repeater) connections are: 1) Seatalk HS connection to Seatalk HS Network Switch.
A1: It is not quite clear what your intentions are for the NGW-1. E-Series Classic MFDs are not designed and tested for use in systems having more than one source of any specific type of data (NMEA 2000 engine, trim tabs, and tank level sensors excluded). After reviewing the equipment which you have listed, I have a concern that the MFD may be receiving heading data from two sources (i.e. "Heading Sensor, and Auto Pilot"). As many Airmar Weather Stations transmit GPS data and heading data, I also have a concern that the "Weather Station" may act as an additional source of GPS and/or heading data within the system. Should duplicate sources be present of any specific type of data be present within the system, then action must be taken (ex. disconnecting the the associated additional source(s), programming the device to not transmit data items available from another source in the system, or programming the MUX (if possible) to not pass data item available from another source).

Q2: Are there any issues with added the NGW-1 to the NMEA 0183 muxed signals (Display #1; Connection #1)?
A2: It is not clear what your intentions are for the NGW-1. Please elaborate.

Q3. Assuming there are no issues, could I then reconfigure the NMEA 0183 input on display #1 to receive the AIS-650 and continue to use the output wire pair for the "listeners" on the NMEA 0183 bus?
A3. Should input from an AIS receiver/transceiver be fed to the NMEA 0183 MUX, then that MUX would in turn need to be configured to transmit at 38400 BAUD and the MFD's NMEA 0183 port would need to be configured to operate a 38400 BAUD. As changing the BAUD rate of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port also affects its output port, making the change suggested would likely break communications between MFD #1 and the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listeners (ACR locator beacon (GPS and Time); iCom VHF radio (GPS and time)). You may want to consider using an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to supply the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listeners with GPS data. Doing so

Q4. If this all works, at some future date I would add a stand-alone AXIOM 12 with 3D Realvision after the thru hull sender becomes available. I would then like to connect the AXIOM to the NMEA 2000 bus so it has all of the other E-120 "non-graphical" data. Will that work?
A4. Should the AIS650 would need to continue being interfaced via NMEA 0183 to the system of E-Series Classic MFDs to support having them display AIS information. The AIS650 would additionally need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone to support having the Axiom MFD display AIS data. As you have suggested, no graphical data would be shared between the Axiom MFD and the E-Series Classic MFDs.
04-10-17, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-17 07:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RESPONSE:
My Q1 was ambiguous, my apologies. My intent is to take the NMEA 0183 muxed output and port it to the NMEA 2000 bus via the NGW-1. This is in preparation for some future upgrades (AXIOM sonar is one such upgrade). I will disconnect the NMEA 0183 input to the E120 so there is only one source of data and it is the NMEA 2000 bus.

Regarding the heading sensor, I have configured the MUX to block the heading input from the autopilot so there is only one heading message on the NMEA 0183 bus. The weather station is from Maretron and does not have a GPS.

Also, I just noticed the AIS-650 has a SeaTalk NG connection so I am planning to get the correct cable to connect it to the NMEA 2000 bus and disconnect the NMEA 0183 interface to Display #2.

In addition, I was wrong about the GPS data. the GPS receiver is the Raystar and interfaces directly to the E120 master via a separate connection. I have also made a parallel connection to the AIS-650 but not sure that is necessary.

Overall, the system has been running as described for several years.

Jon Spain
04-11-17, 08:31 AM
Jon,

Q1. My Q1 was ambiguous, my apologies. My intent is to take the NMEA 0183 muxed output and port it to the NMEA 2000 bus via the NGW-1. This is in preparation for some future upgrades (AXIOM sonar is one such upgrade). I will disconnect the NMEA 0183 input to the E120 so there is only one source of data and it is the NMEA 2000 bus.

Regarding the heading sensor, I have configured the MUX to block the heading input from the autopilot so there is only one heading message on the NMEA 0183 bus. The weather station is from Maretron and does not have a GPS.

A1. Shifting this input from the E-Series Classic MFD #1's NMEA 0183 port to the SeaTalkng backbone may indeed then permit the E-Series Classic MFDs to receive this data via the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. Also, I just noticed the AIS-650 has a SeaTalk NG connection so I am planning to get the correct cable to connect it to the NMEA 2000 bus and disconnect the NMEA 0183 interface to Display #2.

A2. Only the Data Master MFD's SeaTalk and SeaTalkng ports will support communications (i.e. these ports of these system's other E-Series Classic MFDs will automatically be disabled). Should the Data Master MFD (i.e. E-Series Classic MFD #1) remain connected to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it will receive supported data from the backbone. That said, the A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs are exclusively designed to process AIS data from an AIS receiver / transceiver which has been interfaced to the NMEA 0183 communications interface of one of the system's MFDs.

Q3. In addition, I was wrong about the GPS data. the GPS receiver is the Raystar and interfaces directly to the E120 master via a separate connection. I have also made a parallel connection to the AIS-650 but not sure that is necessary.
A3. Care should be taken to ensure that the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output of the AIS650 has not been paralleled, as it may drop the signal level below that which interfaced devices may receive data from the AIS650. The 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output of the AIS650 may be interfaced to any of the system's MFDs.
04-11-17, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-17 10:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank-you for your detailed response.

I will proceed with the NGW-1 installation.

The output of the Raystar GPS receiver is connected to the SeaTalk connector on the Master E120 unit (Display #1). Once the NGW-1 is installed and the NMEA 0183 connection on the master unit is no longer in use, can I change the baud rate of the NMEA 0183 to 38,400 on that unit and connect it to the AIS without messing up the GPS interface?
04-11-17, 10:36 AM
Q1. Once the NGW-1 is installed and the NMEA 0183 connection on the master unit is no longer in use, can I change the baud rate of the NMEA 0183 to 38,400 on that unit and connect it to the AIS without messing up the GPS interface?

A1. Changes to an E-Series Classic MFD's NMEA 0183 / NAVTEX port setting will have no affect on the MFD's SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications.
04-11-17, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-17 08:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Great news. Thanks for your prompt, detailed, and fantastic support!

I'll try to post an update in a few weeks to let you know how it all worked out with the NMEA 0183 to 2000 migration.
04-12-17, 08:02 AM
You're welcome.