Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASI 650 Multiplexer & DSC Messages
04-14-17, 10:07 AM
RE: ASI 650 Multiplexer & DSC Messages
Thanks Chuck. I don't think I explained it very well.

1. Yes, I understand that the iCOM does not accept GPS data that has an EC Talker ID. My understanding it is that it just ignores it instead of processing it, but it does not cause any issues.

2. If I enable the "Output of GNSS Sentences" on the AIS 650 using the ProASI2 software, I have confirmed that "GP" sentences are sent out by the AIS via NMEA. I assume this means the iCOM would process these properly, but I won't be able to actually connect it this way to fully test until next week as I am not on the boat right now.

The follow-up questions are:

a) The manual of the ASI 650 says not to enable "Output of GNSS Sentences" other than for troubleshooting, because of potential "GPS Data Conflicts and/or performance issues" I imagine the potential data conflicts would occur if multiple GPS devices were reporting "GP" data sentences in the network. This part makes sense to me. However, what I do not know is whether in the configuration where the VHF is the only device attached to the AIS via NEMA at 4800 and the E80 is the only device attached to the AIS at 38400, would this still cause the potential conflict? Does the E80 take the GP sentences and repeat them into the SeaTalk network so other devices on the network would get conflicting data with other GPS data sources?

b) Is there a way to have the AIS send out the "Output of GNSS Sentences" only via the 4800 NMEA output port (attached to the VHF only) and not on the 38400 output port (attached to the E80). If it is, then it seems to be this would be the optimal/simplest solution in my configuration.

c) What are the "performance issues" mentioned in the manual related to having "Output of GNSS Sentences" enabled? This does not make much sense to me either.

Thanks again for the help!

Wil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ASI 650 Multiplexer & DSC Messages - rsqunit - 04-14-17 10:07 AM