Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voyage Planner Waypoint download files
04-20-17, 04:44 PM
Voyage Planner Waypoint download files
Sirs:
I have been periodically downloading copies of my waypoint files from my GS125 MFD’s and my C125 MFD (different boats)to Voyage Planner. Initially the files transferred from my msd card to Voyage planner were complete list of the waypoints in the file. I would usually display the latest, but could search the old list as well. Recently only waypoints that are new and not previously transferred will be transferred even with a new file name. I can work around this limitation by going through another waypoint backup program that saves in .dbx and reconvert to MPX and then import, but I think there must an easier way. Of concern mainly would any future need to use Voyage Planner’s waypoints to populate my machines should my backup card be corrupted or lost. It can be hard not to get back the many deleted waypoints, and having to deal with multiple files to get a complete up to date waypoint list to upload as I generally save after any trip.
I am using:
Voyage Planner Version 1.3.0.11
Windows 10 on a MAC with Parallels(little slow but works well)
Navionics Chart

PS When are you going to add House voltage (or MFD input line voltage) to your Lighthouse program. It would certainly be convenient to have it in your data screen or data bar. I note others have ask for this also.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-17, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-17 04:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Voyage Planner Waypoint download files
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum drbutcherhsd,

Please understand that while some level of success may be achieved using Voyage Planner on on Apple computers running Windows emulators, Voyage Planner is not supported for use in this environment. Voyage Planner is designed and tested for use on PCs running the Windows operating system. That said, if you supply me with a GPX file containing all of your data and list any specific waypoints and/or routes which the MFD is unable to import, then I will attempt to duplicate the issue to seek a possible solution to the problem reported.

Battery voltage monitoring is supported, albeit via a NMEA 2000 battery monitor (ex. Maretron DCM100, etc.).
04-22-17, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-17 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I copied a small Wreck File that is available on the internet that I have on my GS125. It was downloaded on a Sandisk Msd card and transfer directly to the attachment. I also included the same file save to another Waypoint program(.DBX) and exported back to the same disk as .GPX. It imports into Voyage Planner without a problem. This file was already on my Voyage planner from a year ago.
Thanks
04-24-17, 10:44 AM
drbutcherhsd,

I was able to successfully load the waypoints from each of the GPX files which you provided into a network of MFDs running LightHouse II v19.03. What version(s) of LightHouse software is presently installed within your MFDs?
04-24-17, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 08:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Lighthouse II 17.45 Indeed this problem started about the same time I upgraded and had to redo my autopilot, but I did not associate the two. I will upgrade to R 19 and let you know. Thanks.
04-24-17, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 08:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I updated my systems from LightHouse II v17.46 to v19.03(except the autopilot), Downloaded waypoints(I have more than 1000 in Multiple files for different locations), Loaded a copy of Voyage planner on another computer and downloaded the individual waypoint files without difficulty. They were complete with depth, temp, etc, and not stripped as when I was using an intermediary program. I then tried to transfer them to my usual computer's Voyage planner with multiple old versions of the same files with different dates. They created files, but imported only waypoints that were not in the old files. If I hide all of the old files of a given group and download a new version, the map is populated, but the file list only contains the few new waypoint. If I attempt to upload from this downloaded File only the few new waypoints that are visible in the file list upload, Not the map population. Eventually I removed all of my old files and downloaded the same post update files without any difficulty. Is there a limit to the # of files Voyage Planner will Handle? Are there restrictions on the file Names? I will let you know after my next trip when my local file has additions and deletion, I download it, and see how it is handled. Thank you for your time.
04-25-17, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
drbutcherhsd,

Q1. Is there a limit to the # of files Voyage Planner will Handle?
A1. No. However there are limits to the number of waypoints, routes, and tracks which may be imported into the internal memory of an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. These limits are documented in Section 13.5 - Waypoints, routes, and tracks storage capacity of the LightHouse II Release 17 Operating Instructions.

Q2. Are there restrictions on the file Names?
A2. Other than the file having a .GPX file extension, there are no documented restrictions to the filenames which may be used. That said, it would be considered to be a best practice to keep file names as short as is permissible. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing name lengths and character constraints for waypoints, routes, tracks, groups, and comments.

You're welcome.