Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting DSC VHF to axiom
05-12-17, 10:23 AM
Connecting DSC VHF to axiom
I am the owner of a new axiom 9 with 3d sonar. I am connecting my engine to the chartplotter via the NMEA 2000 connector. I want to hook up my VHF radio so that it can transmit my GPS position via the DSC function. I was hoping for the data to flow in and out from the radio.

1. What is the best way to connect the VHF to the chartplotter? Wire NMEA 0183 wires from vhf to nmea 2000 cable and set up a splitter/backbone to get both the engine and the radio in? Adapter to add it to the sea talk?

2. Is there something I need to buy? If so, what is it?

3. Any steps after it is hooked up to make the GPS transmit data to the VHF?

Thanks.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-17, 03:34 PM
RE: Connecting DSC VHF to axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kaner747,

Q1. What is the best way to connect the VHF to the chartplotter? Wire NMEA 0183 wires from vhf to nmea 2000 cable and set up a splitter/backbone to get both the engine and the radio in? Adapter to add it to the sea talk?
A1. The equipment cannot be interfaced in the manner which you have suggested. Instead, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone will need to be installed onboard. The MFD and engine system gateway will then each be interfaced to a spur socket within the installed SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The backbone will also include an E70196 SeaTalkng to NMEA 0183 VHF Radio Kit to support supplying the VHF radio with GPS data.

Q2. Is there something I need to buy? If so, what is it?
A2. See the response to Q1. Additionally, SeaTalkng networking components may be found here. Raymarine offers the ECI-100 engine system gateway to support integration of compatible Volvo, Yamaha, Yanmar, Honda, and Caterpillar engine systems. For other engine systems, it is recommended that the engine system manufacturer be contacted to determine whether they offer a NMEA 2000 engine gateway for your engine(s).

Q3. Any steps after it is hooked up to make the GPS transmit data to the VHF?
A3. No.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply