Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seatalk1 to Seatalkng
05-30-17, 02:01 PM
Seatalk1 to Seatalkng
I am in the process of updating ST60 instruments to I70 seatalkng. I have an existing ST60 Wind and a S1G course computer which I wish to use in the new system.

My plan is to build a Seatalkng back bone connecting the new Ray260 radio, E95 MFD, I70 and P70 to seatalk ng bus. Connect the Wind to a wind pod and the pod to the seatalk ng, in the ng bus. I would install a seatalkng to seatalk1 converter with a connector ( yellow plug ) to the S1G. Will this converter allow bi directional data from the seatalk 1 to the seatalk ng? My concern is that all of the data from the S1G be available for the ng system data from the flux gate compass and the rudder reference.

It seems simple enough however am I missing anything. Can I daisy chain the St6o wind directly to the I70 and receive the wind date via sealtalk ng, if so do you set the St60 as a master or a repeater?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-17, 02:43 PM
RE: Seatalk1 to Seatalkng
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

Q1: Will this converter allow bi directional data from the seatalk 1 to the seatalk ng? My concern is that all of the data from the S1G be available for the ng system data from the flux gate compass and the rudder reference.
A1: Yes, communications via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is designed to be bidirectional. However, SeaTalk only support transmission of heading data a 1Hz. Should it be desired to provide the MFD with 5Hz heading data updates, then it would be recommended that the S1G's NMEA 0183 output port be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port.

Q2. Can I daisy chain the St6o wind directly to the I70 and receive the wind date via sealtalk ng, if so do you set the St60 as a master or a repeater?
A2. No. The i70 MFID cannot simultaneously support SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications. The ST60 instrument display should be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus along with the S1G and its autopilot control head. The present source of power to the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected (this may be the red terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port and if so, the red lead of the SeaTalk cable should be disconnected from that terminal). The SeaTalk bus will be powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply