Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G SERIES WAS UPDATED BUT CHANGED DISPLAY LAYOU APPEARANCE
06-16-17, 11:35 AM
G SERIES WAS UPDATED BUT CHANGED DISPLAY LAYOU APPEARANCE
Hi RayTeam. Please help. I just updated what I though was ONLY the chart info with the fresh data chart update form navionics. when I loaded the updated card into my GSeries display- it changed the layout form what was a very easy t see format, to something that is much more difficult to see. It seems to have affected only 1 of the 2 nav stations, since the other still looks the way we want it. PLEASE tell me how to change it back. I have attached copies of the 2 screens. the RADAR scree is the way we want it... the CHART screen is the new version of the display layout that we do not like.
Thank you as always.
Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-17, 03:52 PM
RE: G SERIES WAS UPDATED BUT CHANGED DISPLAY LAYOU APPEARANCE
Dave,

An update to the data within a Navionics chart card should have had no effect upon the appearance of the displayed function key menu. Was a software update performed to the GPM400 between the time that the first screen snapshot was taken and when the second screen snapshot was taken?
06-21-17, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-17 08:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

I'm a bit confused about your response. Raymarine has neither released updated to the embedded cartography within G-Series systems nor has it approved a process for end users and dealers to update the cartography within a G-Series system. Do I understand your response to imply that you have updated the embedded cartography within a G-Series system rather than have it simply rely on interactively reading cartography from a chart card?

That said, should the G-Series application software within the GPM400 have been updated with the latest software (v4.49), then it would be expected that function key labels would be displayed with the colored dots as you have reported within your second screen snapshot. Changes to the user interface introduced with the v4.49 software update included changes to the appearance of the function keys labels. The user interface of G-Series system does not include a configuration setting to switch back and forth between a colored bar appearing above the function key labels and the colored dots appearing above the function key labels.
06-21-17, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-17 10:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ok, so, from what I am reading... it seems that perhaps this unit was updated to ver 4.49? if that is the case... 3 questions:
1- how can I go back to the prior revision?
2- if its possible... how do I do it, and where can I get the older download version?
3- again...IF its possible to go back, what will I loose in features/functions (if any) that version 4.49 affords?

Perhaps Its just a matter of getting use to the "look", but I can tell you that in bright sunlight, its hard too see the color dots, thats why the color bar was so much better.

also- since I have so many tracks/routes/wp's in the unit now, how can I safely back them up in case I need to refresh this software... can I simply erase all data thats loaded onto the spare memeory card I have, set unit to "remove card" status, insert the now-blank card- backup the tracks/routes/wps to the card, and then save that as the "data files" card. then take the card thats currently running the machine and backgrade it to the old sofware version, reboot, go to remove card status, insert the "data card" and restore tracks/route,wps" from that card?
Thanks so much.
Dave
06-21-17, 11:01 AM
Dave,

Indeed, at some point in the life of the GPM400, its software has been updated with v4.49 or later software. The software history, including details of the included changes, for the G-Series systems may be found on the G-Series software update web page. While software of a GPM400 was designed to be updated by owners, the G-Series software was not designed to be downgraded by owners. It is further recommended that G-Series systems which have been updated with v4.49 or later software not be downgraded.

The process which you have specified for data archival, software modification, and then restoration of data is correct, but again would not be applicable as the software version within the GPM400 now appears to be at least v4.49.
06-22-17, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-17 01:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the info Chuck. Can you confirm that this is the situation by review of the 2 images attached. it seems that the "radar" displaying unit is ver1.2 and the other display (nothing in background now) shows 4.66
06-22-17, 01:58 PM
Dave,

Should you examine the Software Services - Unit Info dialog, you will indeed find that the App Version specified is v4.66 ... the final version of G-Series GPM400 software.
06-22-17, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-17 02:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, so .. its just as you suspected... so question... will there be any harm in leaving the 2 nav stations with different software versions?
Thanks,
Dave
06-22-17, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-17 02:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

Within a system of compatible MFDs which have been interfaced via an Ethernet network, each MFD must be configured with the same version of software.
Failure to do so would result in a system which was considered to be an unsupported system configuration and would yield unpredictable / untested system performance. Accordingly should the system feature a second GPM400 which has been interfaced via Ethernet to the system, then it would be recommended that it too be updated with v4.66 G-Series software.
06-22-17, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-17 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ok, to do so (since the other gp400 unit has no cf card in the back) do I just go thru step to remove care from the "updated unit" and then insall and reboot into the other unit?