Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] ST5000+ Autopilot
07-06-17, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] ST5000+ Autopilot
I have a 2004 ST5000+ Autopilot that is in excellent working order and would like to add a remote to the unit. I have searched these forums with nothing specific found as to what model and method although it appears maybe an ST100 might work? Please advise - it was previously connected to a Raychart 435 which went bad and I replaced it with a C95 MFD and SR6 network switch which would not interface to the ST5000+ so I left the autopilot as stand alone which is fine - thanks, Bass
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-17, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 09:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ST500+ Autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Byron,

Both the S100 and SmartController are compatible with the ST4000+/ST5000+ autopilots. The wireless base station would need to be interfaced via SeaTalk to the autopilot.

BTW - the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs may indeed be adapted to be used with the ST4000+/ST5000+ autopilots, but not with the ST4000/ST5000 autopilots. Please click here to view a FAQ in which I had addressed this subject. The ST5000+ may alternatively be interfaced to the MFD via NMEA 0183 communications. Should you need further assistance with interfacing the MFD with your ST5000+, then please create a new thread to address this subject.
05-05-18, 07:57 AM
RE: ST5000+ Autopilot
Chuck - I have purchased the S100 and interfaced it to the autopilot. It operates on standby and auto but no course correction but reading this forum I need to set the S100 to powerboat and will try that today. I have 2 questions:
1- Connecting ST5000+ to C95 - The ST5000+ is in my electronics box under top and the C95 I am connecting it too (via seatalk - seatalk converter bus) is on the console and the cable provided is only 3 feet and will not reach the head unit. The cable is A22164. I cannot find in any of the literature how to extend this cable or purchase a longer one I need about 6'. Please advise.
2- What functionality can I expect once the ST5000+ is connected to the C95? Assume I can auto navigate to waypoints but wanting to confirm.

Thanks! Byron
05-07-18, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 09:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] ST500+ Autopilot
Byron,

Q1- Connecting ST5000+ to C95 - The ST5000+ is in my electronics box under top and the C95 I am connecting it too (via seatalk - seatalk converter bus) is on the console and the cable provided is only 3 feet and will not reach the head unit. The cable is A22164. I cannot find in any of the literature how to extend this cable or purchase a longer one I need about 6'. Please advise.
A1. For clarification purposes, the c95 may only be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which includes or is completely comprised of SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Should the cable of the A22164 be too short, then its SeaTalk plug may be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block which may then be connected to ST5000+ via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Plug to Plug Cable. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject ... particular attention should be paid to the ensuring that the autopilot does not backfeed power to the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2- What functionality can I expect once the ST5000+ is connected to the C95? Assume I can auto navigate to waypoints but wanting to confirm.
A2. When correctly interfaced to the MFD and the MFD has been commanded to Go To Waypoint / Cursor or to Follow Route, then autopilot's Track Mode would be able to be engaged. Heading from the ST5000+ will also be supplied the MFD to support radar overlay, orientation of the vessel icon, and other heading dependent features.
05-07-18, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-18 10:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] ST5000+ Autopilot
Chuck - thanks as always very helpful and yes I have a properly wired SeaTalk-SeaTalkng Converter installed.
Q3 - As a follow-up to Q1 below how do I know if the Autopilot is back feeding power? Should I disconnect the Converters power supply and connect to autopilot and see if light comes on? I purchased a D285 and already have a junction box.

Q4 - I have an SR6 Connected to the C95 and no longer use the Sirius feature but I do network the HD 48" HD open array radar through it. Yesterday it started blinking orange with 2 patterns: a long blink and short blink, then 3 short blinks. From the manual it is either 2 of the 3 possible errors or the unit is bad. The radar worked intermittently yesterday but now is not found on network. I also purchased an Axiom 9" last week with sonar and considering running the radar off it rather than the C95 - what network portdo I need to connect the radar to the axiom and which network switch if I go back to C95 (is it the Hs5?).

Thanks again for all the help! Byron
05-07-18, 10:49 AM
RE: [CA] ST5000+ Autopilot
Q1 - As a follow-up to Q1 below how do I know if the Autopilot is back feeding power? Should I disconnect the Converters power supply and connect to autopilot and see if light comes on? I purchased a D285 and already have a junction box.
A1. The SeaTalk sockets of all autopilot course computers (to includes ST4000/ST4000+/ST5000/ST5000+ Autopilots) feature powered SeaTalk sockets. By ensuring that the SeaTalk power terminal (red) of the autopilot's SeaTalk socket is not connected to the SeaTalk bus, then autopilot will then no supply power to the SeaTalk bus. Alternatively the SeaTalk cable which is connected to the autopilot's SeaTalk socket may be cut and then its data (yellow) and ground (shield) leads may be spliced back together. The SeaTalk Cable's red leads will not be spliced and will be insulated to prevent shorting.

Q2 - I have an SR6 Connected to the C95 and no longer use the Sirius feature but I do network the HD 48" HD open array radar through it. Yesterday it started blinking orange with 2 patterns: a long blink and short blink, then 3 short blinks. From the manual it is either 2 of the 3 possible errors or the unit is bad. The radar worked intermittently yesterday but now is not found on network. I also purchased an Axiom 9" last week with sonar and considering running the radar off it rather than the C95 - what network portdo I need to connect the radar to the axiom and which network switch if I go back to C95 (is it the Hs5?).
A2. Please note that MFDs running LightHouse II software (ex. a/c/e-Series MFDs) should not be interfaced to the same Ethernet network as MFDs running LightHouse 3 software (ex. Axiom/Axiom Pro MFDs). Irrespective of whether the MFD is running LightHouse II software or LightHouse 3 software, a HS5 RayNet Network Switch would be used to replace a failing SeaTalkhs Network Switch or failing SR6 (which was being used only as a network switch).