07-17-17, 09:58 PM
e125 connection to AP300 Auto Pilot
How to connect e125 to Simrad /Robertson auto Pilot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-17, 09:05 AM
RE: e125 connection to AP300 Auto Pilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Should the autopilot feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface supporting NMEA 0183 v2.1 or higher (recommend reviewing the autopilot's installation guide or consulting Simrad support), then the NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT+ lead (yellow) of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable would be interfaced to the autopilot's NMEA 0183 IN+ terminal. Additionally, the NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT- lead (green) of the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable would be interfaced to the autopilot's NMEA 0183 IN- terminal.
07-24-17, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-17 09:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
I have the NMEA 0183 wires connected as you suggest, I also have a second set of NMEA 0183 wires connected to the input ports of the e-125 MFD power cord from the output MNEA 0183 port of the AP300.
The auto pilot sees the information from the MFD ( waypoints etc.) the MFD sees and displays the HEADING information from the auto pilot compass. The problem I have is that if I select a waypoint to FOLLOW the from the MFD and then press STOP FOLLOW the MFD stops the follow momentarily and then a "Phantom Waypoint" appears close to the original waypoint that has a "N" designation instead of an "X" designation. Then if I press Stop Follow again the Phantom waypoint momentarily disappears but then reappears and I cannot get rid of it. The only way to get rid of it is to power off the AP300. Also this problem does not happen if I disconnect the MNEA 0183 output connection from the auto pilot to the MFD, but then I do not get any HEADING information or display. Can you please help me solve this problem?
07-24-17, 09:40 AM
Dave,

The reported issue is results from the third party autopilot looping data received via its NMEA 0183 communications interface back to the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port along with heading data. In such situations, the issue may be avert via one of the following two means:
- install a programmable NMEA 0183 multiplexer (ex. Actisense NDC-4-USB, etc.) between the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot and the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port. The programmable NMEA 0183 multiplexer will need to be configured to only pass NMEA 0183 heading (HDM, HDG) and rudder angle (RSA) sentences to the MFD.
- disconnect the MFD's NMEA 0183 input leads from the autopilot's NMEA 0183 output port/terminal. Note: electing this option will prevent the MFD from receiving heading data and therefore supporting heading dependent features of the MFD.