Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C97 networking question?
07-18-17, 08:12 AM
C97 networking question?
I recently purchased two C97 units. I also have an Airmar B60 transducer with the RAYA connector, and a RD424HD radome unit. I want ot hook everything up and be able to access all features on both c97 units.

Do I need a hub, and if so which one? could you explain which cables I need and the best way to connect these?

At this time, I do not have any immediate plans to add any additional equipment.

thank you!
Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-17, 08:41 AM
RE: C97 networking question?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ian,

As each c97 MFD features two Ethernet sockets and only three of the products which you have feature an Ethernet communications interface, the two MFDs may simply be interfaced to one another via an an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
07-18-17, 09:46 AM
Thanks!
07-18-17, 10:38 AM
You're welcome.
08-01-17, 08:40 PM
Okay, I finally was able to install the two units, and connected them via the RayF cable. My radome has not arrived, but I do have my transducer hooked up. Currently, I can only access the sounder features on the one unit that the transducer is plugged into. How do I get the second slave unit to access data from the first?

Thanks!
08-02-17, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-17 08:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Iwhitevt,

No configuration of either MFD need be performed to permit the MFDs to establish Ethernt network communications with one another. Should one of the MFDs additionally be interfaced as a spur to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, then that MFD will need to be configured as the system's Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DATA MASTER).

Please confirm that the MFD's have been interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable ... the description within your prior post was not quite clear. If so and the MFDs have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update, then diagnostics of either of the MFDs (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE) should list itself and the other MFD and specify that a SeaTalkhs rather than SeaTalkng Network connection exists between these MFDs. Should this not be specified, then the MFD's would be deemed to not be communicating via Ethernet with one another. Does the diagnostics of your system indicate that these MFDs are communicating via Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) with one another? If not, then the length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable should be inspected to ensure that the cable has not been damaged/modified and that any excess cable has been loosely coiled (minimum bend diameter is 6") and secured to a bulkhead. Excessively small diameter cable bends can result in permanent damage to RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables. The cable should be replaced if any fault is found with the cable. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable may be tested.

Should no fault be found with the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable, the Ethernet communications circuitry of one of the MFDs would appear to have failed. The failure may be fault isolated by testing each of the MFD's two Ethernet Network interfaces with another compatible device. Should an Ethernet Network interface of a MFD be found to have suffered a failure, then the MFD should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
08-02-17, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-17 08:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did not update the software- I'll do that today and then report back. and yes, they have been connected via the 1-meter RayF to RayF cable.
08-02-17, 08:36 AM
Noted.
08-09-17, 09:04 AM
new software update fixed it! thank you!

now... will a M92654-S open array radar unit work with my c97's?
08-10-17, 09:16 AM
Hello Iwhitevt,

Unfortunately, the M92654-S analog radar will not connect to your c97's. That particular radar is analog and there have not been analog radar connections on chart plotters since the E classic generation.

Any current model open array or dome radar will work with your c97. You can view the selection of compatible radars HERE.

- Dave