Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom 9, Mobile App, and 3.1 Software Update
08-03-17, 09:49 AM
Axiom 9, Mobile App, and 3.1 Software Update
So, updated my Axiom 9's last night to the 3.1 LH3 software. Set up the WiFi connection, and started the Raycontrol app on my iPad. Awesome idea, but there are a couple issues.
1) The streaming speed is pretty slow. As the graphics get heavier, more intense, the apps slow down considerably, and eventually cease to function. It doesn't matter whether you are using the chart app or the fish finder app, although fish finder graphics are much more intense and subsequently slower to stream. 3D Vision is almost impossible to stream.
I am assuming the WiFi protocol is 802.11, at 2.4 GHz, but can you tell me if it is b, g, n, or ac? Not that it really matters that much, but knowing the sub-protocol would give me an idea of what to expect in terms of transmission capabilities.
I used the default channel 1, but, in hindsight, maybe should have changed that to something different.
2) My setup is 2 Axiom 9's, but the app only lets me look at one display at a time. To change to the other display I have to connect to its WiFi address. Do we know if this will be something that is addressed in future updates/upgrades?
My Axiom's are still connected to each other, not on a Seatalkng backbone, so maybe this issue is resolved when using a backbone.
All-in-all, spectacular idea by the Raymarine engineers. A little tweaking I suspect and it will become everything it was meant to be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-17, 02:56 PM
RE: Axiom 9, Mobile App, and 3.1 Software Update
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Yogi,

Q1. The streaming speed is pretty slow.
A1. We're not witnessing similar behavior with our iPad. When the MFD's simulator is configured on, and a single pane page dedicated is dedicated to the Fishfinder app, and the Fishfinder is configured to display the 3D channel, does the problem persist? If so, please specify the model of iPad owned and the version of the iOS which is installed on the iPad.

Q2. My setup is 2 Axiom 9's, but the app only lets me look at one display at a time. To change to the other display I have to connect to its WiFi address. Do we know if this will be something that is addressed in future updates/upgrades?
A2. The reported behavior which you have observed the manner in which the mobile apps were intended to function and as they had functioned with the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. The apps are not currently designed to select an alternate Wi-Fi access point to connect the iPad to. A feature request will be logged to consider this feature for inclusion to be considered within a future update to the mobile apps.
08-09-17, 09:27 AM
Has a new verison of RayControl released for the iPad? I've only see the 2015 version of RayControl on iTunes but the RayViewer app was updated on 8/3 to support Axioms.
08-14-17, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cbt716,

Raymarine updated the RayControl app on Apple's App Store during the morning of 14 August 2017. The latest version from Apple's App Store is v1.3.8 and has a date of 10 August 2017.
08-14-17, 11:55 AM
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 with Android 7.0 operating system. I installed RayControl v0108 from the Play Store to work with my Axiom 9" s/w v3.1.96.
The Raymarine website said RayControl was for Tablets, but the Play Store said it was for phones!
I am having a few issues, but first question is do I have the latest and correct versions of both s/w? Thanks
08-15-17, 11:14 AM
Ken,

The RayControl app is indeed designed for use with tablets. The RayRemote app should be used with smartphones. I have updated my Android tablet and Android smartphone with the latest available RayControl and RayRemote apps respectively and have found them to function correctly. While I have not extensively exercised the apps, I did find that my initial attempt to run the app had resulted in the app failing to connect to the Axiom MFD. However, selecting the option to Retry resulted in successful connection between the MFD and the apps.
08-17-17, 09:54 AM
I have had pretty good success with Raycontrol and my Galaxy S2 Tab 9.7. Once connected (sometimes takes a few tries) it stays connected. I spent many hours with it in use the last 2 weeks. Once connected I find the view function to work very well but after one or 2 uses to control or after a period of time the control function ceases to function but the view is working fine. Restart and reconnect and the function returns for the same duration. Running latest SW and updates on all apps and devices. One conflict that would be fixed with Bluetooth is the LTE and the boat wifi don't work well together blocking most data from apps because it sees the wifi net on the boat and my phone and tab both disregard the LTE so no internet BBM etc.

Please add Bluetooth functionality to the top of the update list since it isn't really a new request.
Lighty
08-17-17, 11:09 AM
Lighty,

While your suggestion has been noted to be included within a feature suggestion, the lower bandwidth supported by Bluetooth communications (1/10 that of Wi-Fi) may prohibit Bluetooth communications from supporting the data transfer requirements of Raymarine's Mobile Apps. Additionally, the maximum range for Bluetooth based wireless connections is 30m while for Wi-Fi, it can extend well up to 100m. In Wi-Fi, range depends on the version of Wi-Fi protocol applied and addition of antennas in the communication system while no such concerns of range or extra antenna are much known in Bluetooth.
08-17-17, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 11:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. Not wanting to hijack the thread. I have no idea of the data transfer requirements for the apps I am somewhat familiar with BT and very familiar with wifi. I may have assumed wrongly that wifi and Bluetooth connectivity was for the apps.
Lighty
08-17-17, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 11:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
That's not necessarily correct. New Bluetooth 4.0 is good for 100+ feet. Bluetooth 4.1 and 4.2 may be better options considering their enhanced, and additional, features, and providing only a firmware, and not a hardware, change is required.

Bluetooth 4.2 is all about the "Internet of Things", and Bluetooth 5.0 is just around the corner offering considerably enhanced speeds, and even further distances.

However you are correct that Bluetooth will never match the speeds of WiFi protocol 802.11g,n,ac and beyond.