Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV-150 issues
09-16-17, 12:49 PM
EV-150 issues
I upgraded my auto pilot this spring to a EV-150. I installed the p70Rs on my console in between my 2 e7D MFDs. I did the commissioning and the Dockside wizard. I also did the linearization of the EV1.
My first trip out the auto pilot did not work, so I went back and repeated the commissioning and dockside wizard. I made sure that I had the latest software for all the components in my Raymarine system.
Second trip, I was able to get the auto pilot to track to a cursor or waypoint on my MFD--Yeah success!! Then I noticed as we were trolling, that the screen on my MFD that had the fishfinder displayed, there was interference on the screen (similar to 60cyle interference). I turned the ACU off and powered down the p70Rs control head, and the interference stopped.
Third trip last week--The boat cursor on the chartplotter screen showed us moving in a diagonal direction, not in a bow forward direction. I turned on the p70Rs controller and noticed that the course heading was about 50 degrees different than my compass. I shut down the control head, but the diagonal tracking persisted on the chartplotter.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to remount the p70Rs control head in a different location?? I really have no other place to install it. The instructions don't mention interference from MFDs as being an issue. ( I have attached a picture of the current console configuration)

2) How do I get the boat heading to return to a bow forward course on the chart plotter? Do I need to do redo the linearization process? Do I need to lock the compass afterwards?? Is that also why there is a difference between my compass heading and that displayed on my p70Rs and the MFD displays?
Thanks for your advice. I have been pretty frustrated since the installation and really have not been able to use this auto pilot for fishing this whole season.
Steve A
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-17, 03:01 PM
RE: EV-150 issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1) Do I need to remount the p70Rs control head in a different location?? I really have no other place to install it. The instructions don't mention interference from MFDs as being an issue. ( I have attached a picture of the current console configuration)
A1) No. It is quite possible to that the subject interference is resulting from RF interference from the ACU or the drive unit. First, the following installation issues should be addressed / verified:
- the transducer cable has not been bundled / routed with other cables.
- that you verify that the drain leads/terminals of the Raymarine products have been addressed per the FAQ found here.
- that RF Chokes / suppression ferrites have been installed on the drive unit's motor leads as well as the ACU's power leads
- motor leads are not bundled with communications or transducer cables.

If you have addressed the items listed above, and the autopilot be placed into standby mode, then no interference should be observed within the MFDs. Should the interference only occur when the autopilot is operating in pattern, auto, or track mode, then the problem would be associated with ACU or motor noise. Where has the ACU been installed relative to the MFDs?

Q2. How do I get the boat heading to return to a bow forward course on the chart plotter? Do I need to do redo the linearization process? Do I need to lock the compass afterwards?? Is that also why there is a difference between my compass heading and that displayed on my p70Rs and the MFD displays?
A2. What was the maximum deviation detected by the autopilot (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT PILOT ... scroll the displayed screen to the bottom to locate this value. Where has the ACU been relative to the EV-1 Sensor Core?
09-21-17, 02:30 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get over to where the boat is stored and tried to verify the answers to some of your questions.
-The transducer cable is on its own, no bundling there.
-The electrical leads are all done according to the installation manual.
-I installed all the ferrites as per the ACU instructions.
I can only think that the cables are in a relatively confined area in the center console as to create interference.
The MFDs are installed in the upper portion of the center console in the electronics "box" that Boston Whaler had in their consoles. The ACU is mounted vertically inside the center console approximately 24" below where the MFDs are mounted. (This was the location of my prior Raymarine Auto Pilot Control Unit).

Q2-I checked the deviation from the menu and it is at 40* (degrees). As stated above, the ACU is mounted inside the center console on the aft aspect of the console. The EV-1 core is mounted on the inside of the center console, center position on the forward aspect of the console. There is where the fluxgate was previously mounted.

I will go through all the wiring one more time and make sure everything is separated properly and verify none of the ferrites have moved. I am awondering with that sort of deviation in the control head, if I should start over (factory reset) then proceed with the Dockside Wizard and the linearization, and then lock the compass.
I am reaching the end of my pay-grade capabilities, so it may mean a service call to the electronics shop if I can can a appointment.
Thanks for your help.
Steve
09-21-17, 03:20 PM
Steve,

Thanks following up.

A1. I was looking to see that the ferrites and drain leads had been addressed in the manner which I had specified/referred to ... not necessarily the manner specified within the installation guide. I also need to know whether the interference is observed when the autopilot is in standby and the engines and all other equipment other than the marine electronics are switched OFF. Should the interference only be observed when the autopilot has been commanded into Auto or Track mode, then it would be recommended that additional ferrites be added to the ACU's power leads and motor leads. Should application of up to six ferrites per lead not address the problem, then it would be recommended that the ACU be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be bench tested/services.

A2. The sensed deviation is much greater than would be recommended. Accordingly, it would be recommended that another location be selected for the EV-1 sensor core, that an Autopilot Factory Reset be commanded, Dockside Wizard, etc. be executed and that the maximum sensed deviation be checked again ... recommend ten degrees or less deviation.

If seeking onboard assistance, it is recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted.
09-21-17, 07:35 PM
Chuck,
Sorry, I was remiss in not mentioning that the interference was when we were tracking to a waypoint that I had placed on the Chartplotter. I wanted to see ihow well the Auto Pilot would track. It was then and only then did I notice the interference on the MFD screen.When in standby mode, the MFD was clear of any interference. I will add additional ferrites to the motor leads and to the ACU power leads and see if that corrects the issue.

I mounted the EV-1 sensor core as far away from any electronics and magnetic fields (motors or compass) as I could . I will perform the Dockside and lineariazation again and hopefully that will bring the deviation back to a reasonable value.

Failing all this, the boat will head into the shop for the expert's help.
Thank you for all your guidance in the installation of the AutoPilot.
Steve
09-21-17, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-17 07:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
When I install on a center console and EVERYTHING is super close in a tight environment, I add a 6a black cable from the power distribution panel BACK to the batteries. Then I use the factory ground cable as the rf ground. Even though they both end up at the same place, by the time the rf energy gets to the battery ground, all the EMI is gone! Now, if the batteries are inside the same place as the equipment, I use a 4ga cable to battery BOTH pos and neg--to the distribution panel, and another 4ga black to the same battery... But I find similar paths are fine to dissipate EMI. The trick is to get two paths and use LARGE gauge cables.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-17, 07:55 AM
Oregoncme,

Thanks for the installation tip.

Steve,

You're welcome.