Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To all people much smarter than I
03-19-16, 11:22 AM
To all people much smarter than I
I have a 28' Baha Cruiser with FB.It has SEaStar helm pumps for both helm and flybridge. The hydraulic system is all 1/4" NPT fittings on hydraulic lines. I just purchased the following:

E70274-NAG ES97 9" MFD 600W SONAR NORTH AMERICAn
E22158 SEATALK CONVERTER KIT
T70243 Q24C 1350 Solid State Radar
E70245 RAY 60 VHF
E70161 SR 150 Sirius XM Weather
E66088 B60 T-HULL 12 degree Brass transducer
T70157 Evolution Auto Pilot

I have several questions most of which surround the location of the new equipment.

I understand there are many ways to design this network, but what would be the way you would design it first?

What would this look like on a diagram with connectivity (specifically power). I know sea talk provides power and data, but in doing some reading, it looked like some devices either can't or don't like being powered via seatalk????

Can you be hooked to power and seatalk at the same time? will that back feed power the network?

How would you power the seatalk network?

In regards to autopilot, what are the ideal locations for the equipment (specifically the ACU and pump)?

Near the helm pump? or next to RAM?

Bottom line: I am spending so much time analyzing pros and cons of every location, that I can't seem to decide. I'm afraid I will get 2/3 done and realize that this piece needs to be 2 ft from this other piece. I guess I just need a little bump in the right direction.

I thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me.

Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-16, 12:16 PM
RE: To all people much smarter than I
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Unfortunately, supplying custom wiring diagrams is beyond the scope of support with can be offered. Raymarine the installation manuals and Raymarine's Networking web pages provide examples addressing how to install Raymarine products. Additonally, Raymarine Certified Installers are available to install your marine electronics and may be located here.

Q1) I understand there are many ways to design this network, but what would be the way you would design it first?
A1) To keep the diagrams as uncluttered and easy to read as possible, many will create separate diagrams for power, Ethernet communications, SeaTalkng communications, and NMEA 0183 communications.

Q2) What would this look like on a diagram with connectivity (specifically power). I know sea talk provides power and data, but in doing some reading, it looked like some devices either can't or don't like being powered via seatalk????
A2) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3) Can you be hooked to power and seatalk at the same time? will that back feed power the network?
A3) With the exception of the following devices, all devices featuring a SeaTalkng port and a power port should be interfaced to power and as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone:
- i50/i60/i70/ST70/ST70+ Instrument Displays
- p70/p70R/ST70 Autopilot Control Heads
- EV-1/EV-2 Evolution Autopilot Sensor Cores
- iTC-5
- ST70 Instrument Transducer Pods
- SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 Smart Transducers
- SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (this backbone component will be powered by its power cable when not installed as part of a more larger backbone)

Q4) How would you power the seatalk network?
A4) The SeaTalkng backbone will be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable protected with a 5A fuse and connected to spur socket located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

Q5) In regards to autopilot, what are the ideal locations for the equipment (specifically the ACU and pump)?
A5) The Evolution Autopilots ACU Installation Instructions. The ACU needs to be mounted to a vertical bulkhead. The following additional information may be found within section 4.2 ACU Installation
Location requirements — ACU of the Evolution Autopilots ACU Installation Instructions.
The installation location must take into account the following
requirements:
• ACU-200, ACU-300, ACU-400 — install below decks in a
dry area.
• ACU-100 — install above or below decks.
• Safe from physical damage and excessive vibration.
• Away from any source of heat.
• Away from any potential flammable hazard, such as fuel
vapors.

The ACU will often be located in the general area of most of the system's electronics, but need not be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply