Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C120 & Evolution Autopilot (ACU200/EV1/P70s)
10-16-17, 05:52 PM
C120 & Evolution Autopilot (ACU200/EV1/P70s)
I have a question regarding the current compatibility of the C120 Classic and the latest ACU200/EV1/P70s bundle.
From my interpretation from another post, it is my understanding that Version R4 has eliminated the ability to use a SeatalkNG/Seatalk converter for integration of an Evolution Autopilot with a C120, is this interpretation correct?
The post indicated a downgrade in software version would be required until a fix had been made in the next software version, however I do not see any revision reflecting this in the software history as of today?

Also, I noticed it seems like software upgrade/downgrade of an evolution autopilot via a C120 has been made unavailable. Does this mean that any upgrade/downgrade on this autopilot would need to be done with a different MFD?
Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-17, 12:48 PM
RE: C120 & Evolution Autopilot (ACU200/EV1/P70s)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. From my interpretation from another post, it is my understanding that Version R4 has eliminated the ability to use a SeatalkNG/Seatalk converter for integration of an Evolution Autopilot with a C120, is this interpretation correct?
The post indicated a downgrade in software version would be required until a fix had been made in the next software version, however I do not see any revision reflecting this in the software history as of today?
A1. As you have suggested, the initial release of R4 Evolution autopilot had the compatibility issue which you have reported. However, when operating with the latest versions of Evolution autopilot software (EV-1/EV-2 (v2.18), p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS (v3.07), ACU-[censored] (v2.23) at the time of this response), the described compatibility issue has been addressed.

Q2. Also, I noticed it seems like software upgrade/downgrade of an evolution autopilot via a C120 has been made unavailable. Does this mean that any upgrade/downgrade on this autopilot would need to be done with a different MFD?
A2. Yes. If purchasing a new Evolution autopilot for a system featuring a Raymarine MFD lacking a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, it would be recommended that the dealer be instructed to verify/update the software within each of the Evolution autopilot components to ensure that their respective versions are equal to or higher than those specified within this response. Alternatively, the software within these Evolution autopilot components may be updated by a Certified Raymarine Installer or may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to receive software updates.
10-17-17, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-17 08:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
Cheers
10-23-17, 08:15 AM
You're welcome.
10-31-17, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck

Just wanted to get some clarifications after completing this installation yesterday. The system comprises an EV1, ACU400, P70s integrated using a SeatalkNG converter with a legacy system, C120, ST(Depth/Speed/Wind), Raystar125 and Wireless Remote.
All components have the latest software as previously discussed.

I tested the system today and everything is working really well. However the issue as identified previously with the "No Navigation Data" is occurring when the autopilot is placed in "Track" mode. I set the Variation to On and entered the local value as outlined in the Software History section for the P70s.
This cleared the issue using that workaround/fix.

My questions are:

1. Does the owner now have to update this value at the P70s every time he travels away from his home port to another location with a different value?

2. Is this issue a result of the SeatalkNG converter being unable to construct/transfer the Magnetic Variation PGN from the Seatalk variation value as derived from the GPS variation field, which the C120 is using?

3. Is there a software update planned to address this issue?

4. If the answer to Q3 is no, what is the solution to ensure automatic variation updates? Is a SeatalkNG GPS required?

5. Will there be any abnormal affects with the autopilot if the owner forgets to update the manual variation and travels outside of the local area. He travels to Alaska from Seattle and I am concerned about this possible scenario.

Thanks for your help Chuck, always appreciated.
11-01-17, 08:13 AM
PetrelMarine,

We recently duplicated the reported issue with an Evolution autopilot and a C-Series Classic MFD. Contrary to the information previously provided the No Navigation issue was not addressed for legacy Raymarine chartplotting devices which were interfaced to an Evolution autopilot. Please click here to view the FAQ addressing our present recommendations for Garmin and legacy Raymarine chartplotting products which have experienced this problem when interfaced to an Evolution autopilot.
11-01-17, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
So am I interpreting the FAQ information correctly.
In our situation a downgrade is not advised as it's a C120(Legacy) unit with SeatalkNG Converter, as opposed to Garmin MFD. Or is the downgrade/fix still advised?
11-01-17, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 10:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
PetrelMarine,

Indeed, we are recommending that the software within the Evolution autopilot components be downgraded to those versions of software recommended for Garmin chartplotting products experiencing the reported issue.
11-01-17, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 03:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, I will downgrade the software and let you know if it works. One other question please. Can a C120 be integrated to the Evolution Series using the Seatalk2 to SeatalkNG adapter cable. I know you have posted that this was primarily implemented for engine data, but can it be used for Autopilot Control, like I’ve done with an E120 and SPX before?
Just wanted to exhaust that avenue before downgrading the software.
Thank you.
11-01-17, 03:16 PM
PetrelMarine,

Q1. Can a C120 be integrated to the Evolution Series using the Seatalk2 to SeatalkNG adapter cable?
A1. Negative.