Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network
10-24-17, 02:01 PM
RE: Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network
Q1. "The technician was likely making the point that should it additionally be desired that the MFD receive 10Hz heading updates, " --

- When I asked the tech support person over the phone for advice, I only asked him "how do I connect the new Axioms to the older autopilot" . and "Will it operate as it should w the ew MFds" . no mention made of heading sensor updates specifically. He instructed me that the actisense gate would take care of that.

A1. While it is indeed possible to interface a legacy autopilot via a NMEA 0183 to NMEA data bridging device, the method described within my prior response would be considered to be the method of choice for interfacing any legacy device which is supported by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As NMEA 0183 does not support communications of proprietary data (ex. alarms, system state, etc.), the proprietary conversion method which I have already specified would typically be recommended for all product supported by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

A2. While I have not tested it yet, once again, Raymarine tech support stated yesterday that the way I currently have this set up through the Actisense gate, the Autopilot and mfd should behave together just as you describe above except no mention of a seatalkng converter. It was mutually understood as his following comment was that the seatalk info would run back through the course computer and all info should be exchanged between the MFD and legacy pilot through the N2K backbone via Actisense gate.

Are you saying this is not accurate that the pilot can be commanded to track to waypoint w the current setup?
A2: No. See the response to Q1. Should the autopilot course computer have been properly interfaced for bi-directional communications with a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device, then the MFD's transducer status will indicate No (compatible) Pilot detected. As with a compatible autopilot which had been interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, should you desire to operate your autopilot in Auto mode, then you will need to command it into that mode via the autopilot control head. As with a compatible autopilot which had been interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, should the MFD be commanded into navigation mode (i.e. commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route), then the associated navigational data should be transmitted to the autopilot via the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device. The autopilot control head's buttons would then be used to command your legacy autopilot into Track mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-24-17 02:01 PM