Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CP370 Installation
11-02-17, 12:55 AM
CP370 Installation
I am currently using the built-in sonar functionality of my ES97. It is connected directly to a B164 1000 Watt transducer. However, the ES97 will only operate at 600 Watts. I am hoping that adding a CP370 will improve performance as it will operate at 1000 Watts. My issue is space - not a lot of places for me to but the CP370 box. The manual says "Note: Raymarine recommends mounting the unit vertically." I found a good location close to the power source and MFD with plenty of air space around it but it would require it to be mounted horizontally. Is there any issue with mounting it horizontally? Any components that sense orientation? I will still be able to see the status light if needed, but I assume this is a device you rarely look at.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-17, 11:04 AM
RE: CP370 Installation
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum DFMott,

Q1. Is there any issue with mounting it horizontally?
A1. Raymarine recommends that this product be mounted to a vertical bulkhead with its communications interfaces oriented down. All environmental testing (shock, vibration, heat, waterproof, etc.) were performed with the product installed as specified within the CP370's installation instructions. As the change of orientation which you have suggested differs from the orientation in which it was tested, it is possible that the suggested orientation may result in subjecting the CP370's components to excessive shock, vibration, heat dissipation, etc.. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the CP370 be installed per its installation instructions. It is not necessary that the CP370 be installed within close proximity to the MFD.

Q2. Any components that sense orientation?
A2. Negative
11-02-17, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Do you think performance will improve using the same transducer with the B164?
11-02-17, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 02:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DFMott,

As the transducer will be driven with 400W of additional power, the most notable change would be to maximum operating depth. While 600W at 50kHz will generally support maximum depths in the 800-1000' range for straight shooting transducers, supported depths will often be less for tilted element transducers. The 1kW 50kHz should extend support for sounding in depths in the 1000-2000' range.
11-02-17, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 02:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I never see better than 550' - 600' before it can't find the bottom with the current configuration so I am hopeful the new unit will improve on that.

I can mount it vertically but it will be more difficult but not impossible to see the status light.
11-02-17, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 03:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DFMott,

I wouldn't be to concerned with the Status LED, as it would typically come into play only when troubleshooting ... and as such few will ever need to access it. In such situations, the CP370 could be temporarily removed from its mount to permit viewing the Status LED.
11-10-17, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-17 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I received my CP370 and was working out the location and wiring when I noticed that the transducer connection on the CP370 is much larger than the connection on the ES97. This is unanticipated!! I have a MIX and Match B164 with a M1-DST-RAYA cable which works fine with the ES97. The other cable available for Raymarine applications is the M1-DST-RAY. However, I can't find any literature that states it works with the CP370 - only the DSM300 which seems to have a similarly sized connection. Can you advise?
11-13-17, 08:59 AM
DFMott,

Transducers which have all be designed for compatibility with the retired DSM30, DSM300, CP300 fishfinder sounder modules are also compatible with the CP370. These transducers all feature the same plug design, permitting them to be directly mated to these fishfinder sounder modules. As the transducer which is currently installed onboard is a Airmar transducer which has not specifically designed for use with these fishfinder sounder modules, it is recommended that Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) be contacted to seek the correct adapter cable to permit the transducer to be mated to your CP370.