Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSM 300 issues
11-20-17, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-17 10:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DSM 300 issues
Good Morning,
I recently purchased a boat equipped with The following Raymarine electronics:
E140W Hybrid display
RS125 GPS antenna
E92143 4KW Radome
DSM300
Ray240 VHF
And I just installed a TM258 transducer to replace a P66 that the previous owner had knocked off.

On my short test rides after installing the TM258 everything ran fine. However on Sat I ran out 30 miles into Gulf of Mexico. Max depth 100'. Everything ran good until about 20 miles out, 70' of water. Then I first lost scrolling, then a few minutes later lost depth as well. 10 minutes later a loss of DSM came up on screen and then I think it rebooted and everything was good. Then throughout the day all these issues kept repeating (not in the same order). Also 1/2 hr later the entire screen started flickering. I was running the fishing mode which was 1/2 chart, 1/2 sonar at the time. The flickering would continue until the next time I received the "lost DSM" and then it would be ok for 5-10 minutes. Thinking the flickering may have been caused by low voltage I ran the motors with no effect. For the run home I switched to full chart screen and the flickering immediately stopped and did not return.
I had read a lot online about the "DSM300" that was manufactured in Mexico. So was not surprised when this all occurred. I pulled the Unit out and sure enough, Designed in "USA,Made in Mexico" It is a E63069, sn#05051502.

What are my options? Of course I have read that RM is replacing these with the CP370 and if that is possible that is what I prefer. I would be happy to return the unit for you to test/verify. I need to have the new unit installed by no later than the end of December. After reading all the issues about the DSM 300 I would not be open for a repair. Hopefully RM can replace this as they have been doing with the next model cp370. Thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day! I
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-17, 11:39 AM
RE: DSM 300 issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Doublecabin,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Contrary to what you may have heard /read, the overwhelming majority of DSM30s and DSM300s produced in Mexico (including the DSM300 installed on my own boat) have provided their owner years of trouble free service. While Raymarine had offered to fix/replace DSM30s and DSM300s free of charge through January 2014 should the failure have been determined to have not resulted from physical damage, burning, submersion, lightning, etc., that offer has unfortunately long since expired. As indicated within the FAQ referenced above, should the installation and troubleshooting items within referenced FAQ have been addressed, then it would be recommended that the DSM be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be bench tested / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply