Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] VDO Transducer
12-30-17, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-18 10:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] VDO Transducer
I know this is a long shot.
I have an old VDO electronic speedo, which died long ago, with a through hull transducer.
Could this be somehow linked to my C120W via the SeaTalkng system?
Or would the Raymarine transducer fit the same aperture?
Thanks,
Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-18, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-18 10:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] VDO Transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

Unfortunately, we would need to know more information about the currently installed speed (STW) transducer. STW transducers have been produced in analog and Smart variants. Analog variants must be interfaced to an instrument which is capable of determining speed from pulses generated by the transducer as its paddlewheel spins. The speed instrument may be equipped with a NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, or proprietary communications interface to permit it to send processed STW data to other products. Smart variants will support either NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 communications protocol to permit them to be interfaced to another product's NMEA 0183 communications interface or to a NMEA 2000 backbone to support supplying the connected system with STW data. STW transducers typically require calibration and more advanced systems will included multi-point calibration of STW, permitting the reported STW value be accurate across a greater range of speeds.

In this case it is recommended that VDO be contacted to determine which type of STW transducer has been installed with your depth instrument and the diameter of the transducer's housing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply