Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom Pro Transducer and Chart Considerations
12-31-17, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-18 03:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom Pro Transducer and Chart Considerations
I am considering upgrading my C140W system to the Axiom Pro line. For the time being, I plan to continue using the existing depth / temperature transducer, an Airmar B164(MM) connected to a DSM30. I would like to eliminate the DSM30 however the existing transducer cable is not long enough to reach the MFD.

1) Am I correct in assuming I can extend the existing transducer cable with an E66010 and that the extension will connect directly to an RVX Pro using the A80489 pigtail adapter?

2) Is there a maximum recommended length of cabling connecting a traditional transducer such as the B164 directly to an Axiom Pro?

The boat has upper and lower helms with a C140W at each. If I installed a Pro RVX (w/NAG) at the lower helm as per above, then it would seem installing an S variant at the upper helm would be advantageous from a price and flexibility viewpoint.

3) Are there any technical issues mixing variants?

4) What are the main considerations in choosing between the base S and the S w/LNC for the second helm in this scenario?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-18, 04:01 PM
RE: [CA] Axiom Pro Transducer and Chart Considerations
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jwasko,

Q1. Am I correct in assuming I can extend the existing transducer cable with an E66010 and that the extension will connect directly to an RVX Pro using the A80489 pigtail adapter?
A1. The A80489 adapter is used with Axiom RV MFDs, while the A80496 adapter is used with Axiom Pro RVX MFDs. CP370/DSM30/DSM300/DSM250 compatible transducers should accordingly be adapted with the A80496 adapter for use with Axiom Pro RVX MFDs.

Q2. Is there a maximum recommended length of cabling connecting a traditional transducer such as the B164 directly to an Axiom Pro?
A2. Raymarine recommends that no more than one 5m transducer extension cable be used with a CP370/DSM30/DSM300/DSM250 compatible transducer.

Q3. The boat has upper and lower helms with a C140W at each. If I installed a Pro RVX (w/NAG) at the lower helm as per above, then it would seem installing an S variant at the upper helm would be advantageous from a price and flexibility viewpoint. Are there any technical issues mixing variants?
A3. As networked MFDs are designed to share all system resources / features, the configuration which you have suggested would typically be recommended as a cost savings measure for customers desiring sonar imaging produced by a RV transducer as well as imaging produced by a 50kHz/200kHz transducer.

Q4. What are the main considerations in choosing between the base S and the S w/LNC for the second helm in this scenario?
A4. As cartography is shared among networked MFDs and as the LNC card is bundled at no additional cost, it is recommended that any additional MFD purchases include cartography of another type and/or that the MFD be bundled with a LightHouse chart card to provide an alternate type of cartography for use with the system.
01-02-18, 11:11 PM
... the A80496 adapter is used with Axiom Pro RVX MFDs. CP370/DSM30/DSM300/DSM250 compatible transducers should accordingly be adapted with the A80496 adapter for use with Axiom Pro RVX MFDs.

A Google search is not returning a source for the A80496 adapter. Is it available for retail/online purchase?
01-03-18, 08:48 AM
jwasko,

The previously specified part is indeed available from Raymarine. Should you be unable to locate the previously specified adapter cable via an Internet search (it is not uncommon for every part and accessory to be listed on the Internet), then it would be recommended that you call an authorized Raymarine dealer to purchase / order the specified adapter cable.
01-04-18, 02:00 PM
Thank you Chuck
I checked with some of the local dealers and they indicated they can special order the A80496 adapter.

I am still a bit confused however since there is no mention of this cable in the Axiom Pro Installation manual, 87319v3, although many other adapters are listed. Which connector does this adapter mate with?

I also noted FAQ 3066 stating that the DSM30 is not compatible with the Axiom MFD's. Is this also true for the Axiom Pro's?

Is the CP370 compatible with the Axiom Pro?
01-05-18, 09:46 AM
jwasko,

Q1. I checked with some of the local dealers and they indicated they can special order the A80496 adapter. Which connector does this adapter mate with?

A1. The A80496 will be mated to the Axiom Pro RVX MFD's 1kW Transducers socket.

Q2. DSM30 is not compatible with the Axiom MFD's. Is this also true for the Axiom Pro's?

A2. The DSM30 and DSM300 are not compatible with any model of Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD. However, the Axiom Pro MFDs RVX may be adapted to be mated to a transducer having a plug permitting it to be directly mated to the transducer socket of a CP370, DSM30, DSM300, or DSM250.

Q3. Is the CP370 compatible with the Axiom Pro?

A3. Yes