Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Periodic Self Restart of Networked E120 Classics
03-27-18, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-18 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Periodic Self Restart of Networked E120 Classics
Hi, I came upon a curious behavior on a spring shakedown cruise. About three miles out of the home port, the master and slave E120 classics, interfaced thru a HS switch with a DSM 300 also in the mix, the plotters began to restart on their own. In an attempt to isolate, I found it impossible to even command a manual shutdown in short enough time, the plotter would simply lock up and then after a bit, start a reboot. Turn all off and bringing just one sensor and one plotter on line at a time, still confusing behavior.

In the end I found the root cause, I believe. The CF memory card was inducing the problem. I borrowed another known working card and all system behaviors returned to normal. Then going back a just powering the master plotter with the original card, the anomalous behavior starts again.

So just wanting to share with others and confirm my thoughts:

1) Can a corrupt dataset or file on the database card cause such behavior? Clue, the system does need GPS position and the card installed to cause the failure.

2) Any suggestions on whether it could be a hardware fault of the card versus a bad data load? Reason behind this is the Navionics data subscription I'm using seems to be clunky at times, sometimes when I pull the card to update the data, it fails and has to retry a couple times during a PC update. So perhaps I can run a memory test of the flash card via a PC test?

Many thanks for all the support, this forum is great!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply