Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] sidescan only reads port side with sterndrive down
03-28-18, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-18 11:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] sidescan only reads port side with sterndrive down
I have an A98 with cpt-100dvs transducer and A97 with p58 transducer on my boat, 1987 pursuit 2200 mercruiser alpha one sterndrive. Also a cp200 sidescan module and cpt-200 transducer. I have the cpt-200 transducer mounted as low as i can on the port side of the sterndrive. The problem is I can't see anything on the stbd side of the sidescan unless I raise my sterndrive all the way up. Even going half way up, the limit when the engine is running, doesn't help much. Can't get it any lower or it will hit the sterndrive when I turn. Any suggestions?

Looking to upgrade to axiom 9 rv's with rv-100 transducer to get 3D. How is that transducer going to work if it can only see to one side?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-18, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-18 11:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] sidescan only reads port side with sterndrive down
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum snakedriver,

I too have a boat with Mercruiser Alpha 1 propulsion. The fore/aft beam angle of the SideVision transducer elements is quite narrow as specified within the referenced FAQ. On my own boat, I too find that SideVision can be obscured to port when the drive unit is fully down. This would be expected for outboard and I/O powered vessels when the transom mounting surface to which the outboard or outdrive has been mounted is the same as that to which the transducer has been mounted. In the case of many, SideVision to port may improve when the outboard or outdrive is raised to be no longer within the fore/aft beam angle of SideVision transducer elements. Such is the case onboard my own boat. Unfortunately, should raising the drive not provide vision to port then little more could be recommended. To leave no stone unturned, should you attach a photos of the entire transom, the side where the transducer is located, and view from the side of the transom (looking to port) in which the transducer and outdrive full trim (not tilt) up position, the we may be able to provide alternative suggestions.

Were the MFD to be replaced with an Axiom RV MFD or Axiom Pro RVX MFD and the CPT-200 to be replaced with a RealVision Transducer located in the same mounting location, I would expect similar obscuring of the system's SideVision imaging with your vessel.
04-04-18, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-18 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I have the same issue and a possible solution would be to use two transducer mounts, one on each side of the outdrive, I don't know if the cable split would be long enough? I did contact Raymarine to get a part number for an additional mount but was told that part wasn't sold separately. Any thoughts?
04-04-18, 01:50 PM
xfib,

While technically plausible (be aware that the distance from the union to each transducer element approximately 12" ... this may not provide sufficient clearance to keep the transducer outside the swing of the prop), Raymarine does not offer the mount for SideVision transducers as a part which one may separately purchase.