Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Low, Medium or High CHIRP using Axiom Pro and RV-100 Transducer
06-04-18, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 02:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Low, Medium or High CHIRP using Axiom Pro and RV-100 Transducer
I recently installed an Axiom Pro 12 RVX and a RV-100 Real Vision 3D Transom Mount Transducer. My understanding from the product information I reviewed is that I should be able to choose between low, medium or high Chirp when selecting a sonar channel on the Axiom unit. I don't seem to have that option, however. Is there something wrong with either the Axiom or the transducer I have? Or does this transducer not allow the user to select low, medium and high Chirp.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-18, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 03:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Low, Medium or High CHIRP using Axiom Pro and RV-100 Transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum bsikkel,

Axiom Pro RVX MFDs feature two transducer sockets, one for RealVision Transducers and the second for compatible 1kW CHIRP Transducers or compatible 50kHz/200kHz TransducersWhile it is true that the Axiom Pro 12 RVX can support displaying sonar imaging from low, medium, or high CHIRP sonar transducer, the RV-100 only supports High CHIRP (Sonar), RealVision 3D, SideVision, and DownVision Sonar imaging. Should the Axiom Pro RVX's 1kW Transducer socket be interfaced to either one or a pair of compatible 1kW CHIRP Transducers, then the MFD will be capable of additionally displaying CHIRP sonar imaging associated with the 1kW CHIRP Transducer(s).
06-06-18, 07:40 AM
Thanks Chuck. A couple of additional questions.

1. What transducer would you recommend for the second socket? My boat is a Scout 262 XSF Center Console. I fish in Lake Michigan for salmon (suspended) and trout (on bottom) in depths up to 400 feet of water. With my RV-100 I lose bottom when hitting speeds over 25 mph, so I'm hoping either a thru hull, or in hull, ducer will give me bottom contact at higher speeds. I do trailer the boat on occasion so I'm thinking an in hull would be better? If so, does the M265 LH make the most sense?

2. Is the built-in sonar of the Axiom Pro similar to the CP470? Would there be any advantage to networking a CP470 to the Axiom Pro?
06-06-18, 07:57 AM
bsikkel,

Q1a. What transducer would you recommend for the second socket? My boat is a Scout 262 XSF Center Console. I fish in Lake Michigan for salmon (suspended) and trout (on bottom) in depths up to 400 feet of water. If so, does the M265 LH make the most sense?
A1a. We believe that a M265LM CHIRP transducer would be better for this application.

Q1b. With my RV-100 I lose bottom when hitting speeds over 25 mph, so I'm hoping either a thru hull, or in hull, ducer will give me bottom contact at higher speeds. I do trailer the boat on occasion so I'm thinking an in hull would be better?
A1b. Indeed, you should find the 1kW thru-hull CHIRP transducer to be much better at tracking bottom at planing speeds. I use the 1kW M260 50kHz/200kHz on my own boat and have tracked bottom at speeds over 50 MPH.

Q2a. Is the built-in sonar of the Axiom Pro similar to the CP470?
A2a. Yes.

Q2b. Would there be any advantage to networking a CP470 to the Axiom Pro?
A2b. Not for this application.
06-11-18, 01:15 PM
Chuck:

A couple of additional questions.

1. Is there a performance difference in the high chirp frequency between the RV-100 and the M265LH?

2. My primary concern is targeting suspended salmon from 50 feet down to 200 feet down . . . I'm assuming the High Chirp frequency is the best suited for this? Targeting lake trout on bottom is secondary.

3. Before purchasing the Axiom Pro, I was using a CP370 with an Airmar P66. It seemed to do a much better job marking suspended fish in my typical depth range than my new system does (the Axiom is great marking fish in less than 30 fow, but the fish marks are barely visible when fishing in 100 fow. I'm starting to wonder if it is primarily an issue with the cone angle being smaller with the CHIRP Transducers? Or is it that the medium CHIRP frequency would be better suited. I've played with the Axioms gain and sensitivity settings and that doesn't seem to make a difference.
06-11-18, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 02:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
bsikkel,

Q1. Is there a performance difference in the high chirp frequency between the RV-100 and the M265LH?
Q2. My primary concern is targeting suspended salmon from 50 feet down to 200 feet down . . . I'm assuming the High Chirp frequency is the best suited for this? Targeting lake trout on bottom is secondary.
Q3. Before purchasing the Axiom Pro, I was using a CP370 with an Airmar P66. It seemed to do a much better job marking suspended fish in my typical depth range than my new system does (the Axiom is great marking fish in less than 30 fow, but the fish marks are barely visible when fishing in 100 fow. I'm starting to wonder if it is primarily an issue with the cone angle being smaller with the CHIRP Transducers? Or is it that the medium CHIRP frequency would be better suited. I've played with the Axioms gain and sensitivity settings and that doesn't seem to make a difference.
A1, A2, and A3. The high CHIRP conical sonar feature common to RealVision, DownVision, and CPT-S transducers would typically be considered ideal for the application which you have described. That said, the higher power output of the 600W transducer (vs 20W), combined with the wider cone angle (45 degree vs 25 degrees), 600W/1kW 50kHz may indeed capture more fish within the cone and yield stronger returns. It would be expected that high CHIRP conical sonar would yield greater target and structure detail when operating within the specified depths.