Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CA] [CA11] Adding A50 chartplotter to Evolution Pilot
06-18-18, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-18 03:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Adding A50 chartplotter to Evolution Pilot
I want to add a A50D chartplotter to my Evolution autopilot with p70S control head and ACU 100 Actuator Control Unit.

The most elegant cabling solution would be to run a SPUR cable to the tee at the Fluxgate sensor mounted just under my cabin sole next to my nav station where the A50D will live.

The BACKBONE cable terminates at the Fluxgate sensor with a tee and termination plug. The problem is that a second SPUR cable for the A50D won't go into the BLUE BACKBONE connector at the TEE (where the termination plug now is).

I see in Raymarine diagrams a very short (2 inch) BACKBONE cable that would allow me to attach an additional BACKBONE tee for a SPUR to the A50 in line with the BACKBONE cable right before (or after) Fluxgate sensor.

Is there a BACKBONE cable to SPUR cable ADAPTER that would allow me to remove the termination, plug in the BACKBONE to SPUR adapter and SPUR right to the A50D???

OR- is there such a short (2 inch) BACKBONE cable?

OR a BACKBONE tee with a male & female ends (for inline daisy chain use)???

OR- may I remove the POWER cable powering the BACKBONE since the ACU 100, the Evolution's wheelpilot motor (through the ACU- 100), and the A50D all have their own dedicated POWER SUPPLIES to open up a space for additional SPUR to A50D?

Would the ACU 100 provide enough BACKBONE current to reliably power the p70s?

I am easily able to run a long SPUR to the FIVE WAY connector if I am able to reliably remove the BACKBONE POWER cable that may be redundant- And then use that opening for the A50D's SPUR cable...

My preference would be leaving the backbone POWERED with its POWER CABLE and using something 'short' to tee onto the BACKBONE cable for a SPUR right near the Fluxgate Sensor.

I do not want to have a coil of unnecessary BACKBONE cable under my cabin sole.

Thanks,

Eugene
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-18, 08:09 AM
RE: [CA11] Adding A50 chartplotter to Evolution Pilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Eugene,

You may be making this task more complicated than it need be. I would recommend simply replacing the SeaTalkng T-Piece with an A06064 SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector. Doing so would permit up to three spurs to be connect to the backbone where the T-Piece is presently located. Please additionally be aware that the maximum total cable length of a spur cannot exceed 6m.

The ACU-100 is not designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
06-22-18, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-18 03:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you.

Yes- I believe if I attach an extension backbone cable where the backbone terminates at the fluxgate I'll be able to use the extra tee I already have to join the extended backbone to the spur cable I have to the plotter. I'll use the termination at the tee and be done. How important is it that I attach the ferrite to the p70s? The autopilot works very well now without it and I see no other issues?
06-22-18, 03:45 PM
Eugene,

Q. How important is it that I attach the ferrite to the p70s?
A. Installation of the ferrite will have no effect upon the p70S. Ferrites are installed to address RF interference with VHF radios, vessel entertainment systems, and other communications equipment. Should not such interference have been observed when operating the system, then it would not be necessary to install the ferrite.
06-22-18, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-18 08:42 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thankyou Chuck!
06-25-18, 08:43 AM
You're welcome.