Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Losing the GPS Signal and "Go To" Function
08-30-18, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-18 02:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Losing the GPS Signal and "Go To" Function
As follow up I had done all of the above to no avail.

Then I installed, on a jury rig basis, a SR150 GPS receiver. I placed it next to my Axiom Pro outside at the binnacle and likewise underneath my Bimini.
Here are the results:

I ran it for 12 straight hours w/o any GPS interruptions. Great!. Next I put it
on my nav station which located way down below and under many other instruments, cabling etc, etc. Much more than most. For good measure I put it upside down. Surprise! It ran flawlessly for 4 hours without losing the GPS signal. Always with 3.2 ft of accuracy or better. Will test for a longer time in the future but I am away for two weeks.

Lastly with the SR150 in this position I tested how long it took to lock on. . The SR150 was fully locked on in 10 seconds including the power on time. In short, instantaneously for all practical purposes.

Here are my conclusions:

1. The SR 150 may be a much, much better GPS receiver than the built-in Axiom Pro GPS.

2.The computation of determining when the SR150 has lost its GPS signal may be different from the Axiom Pro. Keep in mind that the Axiom Pro only loses the GPS for a fraction of a second. Then it resets itself, barely enough time to hear the alarm. The only real effect of the loss is on the "GO To' or "Track" functions, otherwise you wouldn't know it happened.

3. It may be both, a better GPS and different computations.

Will permanently install the SR150.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Losing the GPS Signal and "Go To" Function - carlmk - 08-30-18 01:58 PM