Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] eS78 Shutdown and Voltage
08-22-18, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-18 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] eS78 Shutdown and Voltage
I have an eS78 Multifunction Display and Quantum WiFi Pulse Compression Radar Value Pack. I installed this package a year ago replacing a C70 system with radar. I use the wireless connectivity between radar and MFD which seems to work flawlessly.

Lately, when I power down the eS78 by holding the power button through the countdown, the MFD goes through the usual power down sequence, but then restarts rather than shutting off. The process repeats itself no matter how many times I shut it down. The only "solution" is to turn the boat's battery switch off for a number of seconds then switch it back on. Even doing this, the eS78 sometimes powers back up. How can I correct this condition?

Secondly, I often get the message that the transducer doesn't have enough voltage. This typically happens when I have shut down the boat's engine and am solely relying on the two house batteries. I should have plenty of voltage (even the voltage display indicates over 12 volts (never below the minimum required 10.8 volts). What could be causing this condition?

Thank you for the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-18, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-18 12:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] eS78 Shutdown and Voltage
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TexasPilot71,

Q1. Lately, when I power down the eS78 by holding the power button through the countdown, the MFD goes through the usual power down sequence, but then restarts rather than shutting off. The process repeats itself no matter how many times I shut it down. The only "solution" is to turn the boat's battery switch off for a number of seconds then switch it back on. Even doing this, the eS78 sometimes powers back up. How can I correct this condition?
A1. The reported condition may result from incorrectly powering the MFD down, a software defect, or a problem within the circuitry of the MFD.
- When switching the MFD OFF via its Power button, the button must be held pressed until the LightHouse II splash screen is display and then must be immediately released. Releasing the power button before the splash screen is displayed or holding the power button pressed for a number of seconds after the splash screen is displayed will cause the MFD to restart.
- Software defect - issues associated with switching the MFD on/off were addressed in early software for this generation of MFDs. Please ensure that that MFD has been updated with LightHouse II v19.03 or LightHouse 3 v3.6.32 or later software.
- Power ON/OFF circuitry failure. Should the above listed items have been addressed, then the MFD should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

Q2. I often get the message that the transducer doesn't have enough voltage. This typically happens when I have shut down the boat's engine and am solely relying on the two house batteries. I should have plenty of voltage (even the voltage display indicates over 12 volts (never below the minimum required 10.8 volts). What could be causing this condition?
A2. Insufficient power (voltage * current) provided to the MFD is the most common cause for the reported issue and may be indicative of issues with the power or ground connections of the circuit supplying power to the MFD. All power and ground connections for the circuit supplying power to the MFD should be checked from the MFD to the batteries to ensure that wire of the correct gauge has been used, that the electrical connections are all in good condition, are free of corrosion, and are tight. The circuity supplying power to the MFD should also be isolated to prevent surges and brown outs cause by other high current drawing devices. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In short, should the problem not be able to be reproduced while the vessel's engine(s) are operating or the vessel is connected to shore power, then the problems is almost assuredly resulting from insufficient power (voltage * current) being provided to the MFD. However, should the problem be duplicated while the vessel is connected to shore power, after having charged the vessel's batteries, and while still connected to shore power, then the MFD should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply