Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CA] [CA11] Low voltage to itc5 for wind speed
08-29-18, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-18 01:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Low voltage to itc5 for wind speed
Put a new itc5 in. The itc5 only had 2.4v across wind terminals. Same on compass. Checked the feed wire coming to itc5 which only had 8.4v. Jumped 12v from a lug to wind red wire. Wind started working. Reconnected red wire to itc5 and wind continued to work. Turned all off. Restarted later and it still worked, still only 8.4v to itc5 and 4.3v to wind. Any idea how to increase voltage? After being off several days wind speed did not work, but after jumping 12v to red wire it worked again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-18, 01:49 PM
RE: [CA11] Low voltage to itc5 for wind speed
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Terry,

It is possible that your system's backbone has not been correctly powered. Please attach system diagram (hand drawn will generally suffice) identifying the makes and models of each of the marine electronics devices within the system (including computers / tablets running navigational planning / chartplotting applications). The diagram should additionally identify how these devices have been interfaced to one another.
06-10-19, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-19 04:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I finally created a wiring diagram. Hope you can help I have low voltage problems with wind and speed through itc5.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-10-19, 04:11 PM
Terry,

Page 1 is missing labels indicating models of the items shown. Please annotate and respond with an updated drawing or list all items contained therein.
06-10-19, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-19 08:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Attached is the list of items on page 1.

06-11-19, 08:42 AM
Terry,

The following iterms are invalid within the system which you have diagrammed:

- the backbone should not feature two autopilot systems as the one shown presently does. While it is understandable that one may desire to keep a spare autopilot onboard, they must not be installed within the same backbone. Accordingly, should the system feature an Evolution autopilot, then the SPX autopilot (to include the fluxgate compass) should be removed from the backbone.

- the only PC software which Raymarine had offered which was designed to support Ethernet communications with Raymarine equipment was RayTech RNS 6.1 and 6.2 (no longer supported). When interfaced to the system's Ethernet network, the system also had to feature an E-Series Classic MFD or C-Series Widescreen MFD ... your diagrammed system features neither and it would accordingly be recommended that the PC be disconnected from the Ethernet switch shown within your diagram. The one possible exception to this rule would be if the PC running RayTech software was able to display and control the radome. Should the latter be demonstrated within your system, then it may be possible to keep the PC interfaced to the system.

- Raymarine products are not designed to interface via Ethernet communications with third party products except for compatible IP cameras and compatible video encoders. Accordingly, the SSB's connection to the Ethernet switch should be eliminated.

Regarding the backbone shown,

- the diagram does not indicate where SeaTalkng Termination Plugs have been installed

- the diagram does not indicate where the SeaTalkhs Backbone Cable leading from the 5-Way Connector toward the autopilot components has been connected. The other end of this cable must be connected to a 5-Way Connector, T-Piece, or Inline Terminator. Which of these is this cable connected to?
06-12-19, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-19 03:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, really appreciate your help.
There is only one autopilot, the ACU 400.
The pc is loaded with Raytech 6.2. If I can get it to show radar might it also show other data, i.e. Wind depth, gps,? Or, could a separate gps antenna be connected to the pc?

Keeping the ssb and sat phone connected to the pc may allow email or text to be sent from the pc?
Termination plugs - one is at the itc5 and it appears I should add a 'T' with a termination plug at the autopilot ?
As for the Seatalk hs backbone cable I'm guessing it is the cable to the e125 mfd?
Not sure any of this is helping low voltage at itc5? And redid page 3.
Your thoughts please.

06-12-19, 03:44 PM
Terry,

Q1. If I can get it to show radar might it also show other data, i.e. Wind depth, gps,? Or, could a separate gps antenna be connected to the pc?
A1. Other data, i.e. wind, depth, gps, will not be shared via the Ethernet network with a PC running RayTech software when the system features any model of MFD other than an E-Series Classic MFD or C-Series Widescreen MFD. You may want to consider interfacing the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface to the PC to support transmission of wind, depth, and GPS data to the PC.

Q2. Keeping the ssb and sat phone connected to the pc may allow email or text to be sent from the pc?
A2. These are not products offered by Raymarine and we can accordingly not comment on these items.

Q3. Termination plugs - one is at the itc5 and it appears I should add a 'T' with a termination plug at the autopilot ?
A3. Correct

Q4. As for the Seatalk hs backbone cable I'm guessing it is the cable to the e125 mfd?
A4. Negative. As shown within your diagram, the e125 MFD should be interfaced to a spur (white) socket within the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Q5. Not sure any of this is helping low voltage at itc5?
A5. The problem reported with the iTC-5 voltage issue may be resulting from having incorrectly constructed / powered the SeaTalkng backbone ... hence the reason for requesting the system diagram. Your present diagram is incomplete with regard to the aforementioned backbone cable and termination.
06-14-19, 12:41 PM
Sorry for last msg. I found a 'T' with white wire to the EV-1 and the 2nd backbone end plug..

Still confuse about seatalk hs wiring. Currently there are 4 connections, one is 12v power, one is DSM300, one is radar and the last goes to the e125 mfd. Both the radar and DSM are working . Where is the wiring problem?
06-17-19, 12:52 PM
Terry,

Q1. I found a 'T' with white wire to the EV-1 and the 2nd backbone end plug..
A1. As you have now located where the questioned Backbone Cable leads, you may want to consider updating your drawing for future reference to include this T-Piece and to indicate where the Termination Plugs have been installed. Based upon your description , the backbone appears to be properly terminated and appears to been properly powered.

As indicated within the FAQ addressing how to test a masthead transducer,

- Red to shield of the iTC-5 or wind instrument should read 8V DC steady. This is the masthead power supply, coming from the ST50/ST60/i60 Wind instrument or iTC-5. If I understand your initial post, this is the value which you measured 8.4VDC and this would then be considered normal. While the iTC-5 will receive 12VDC from the backbone, only 8.4VDC will be provided across its red to shield pins

- Blue to Shield should read anywhere between 2V and 5.8V DC ... you did not indicate measurement.

- Green to Shield should read anywhere between 2V and 5.8V DC ... you did not indicate measurement.

Blue and green are a sine-cosine wind angle pair. The wind angle is what instruments use to detect the presence of the transducer, so if you have an incorrect voltage here you will often see no wind data at all.

- Yellow to shield should read between 0V and 5V DC (the exact voltage depends on the instrument: 3.2V is typical for ITC5, more like 5V on ST60.) ... you did not indicate measurement.

Should you have unplugged the Backbone Cable from the iTC-5 and measured the power from the Backbone Cable's power pins and found that the measured voltage is less than that of the circuity which is feeding power to the backbone (recommend testing at the backbone's Power Cable), then one or more of the devices which have been connected to the backbone is faulty and is loading down the backbone. The problematic device would be identify by disconnecting device one by one and then measuring the power present within the Backbone Cable.

Q2. Still confuse about seatalk hs wiring. Currently there are 4 connections, one is 12v power, one is DSM300, one is radar and the last goes to the e125 mfd. Both the radar and DSM are working . Where is the wiring problem?
Q2. As indicated earlier, only the MFD, DSM, and radome should be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network switch. Power is provided to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch via its power terminals. As your MFD is communicating with the DSM and radome, no further changes would be required after ensuring that only these devices have been interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch.