Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing patterns with P70Rs?
09-04-18, 04:31 PM
Fishing patterns with P70Rs?
I am looking forward to purchasing a new EV-200 AP system very soon. I have a power boat and place value on the ability for the AP to run pre-programmed patterns for trolling. The marketing materials clearly state that the P70Rs (with it's rotary knob) is for power boats, while the P70s (pushbutton course correction instead of rotary knob) is for sail boats. I actually think I prefer the push button course corrections over the rotary knob for my navigating. So my questions are...

1) Is the P70s head unit capable of executing the pre-programmed fishing patterns?
2) Is there any good reason (other functionality, etc.) that I should opt for the rotary head with a power boat - even though that's not my first choice?

Thanks very much for any feedback or guidance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-18, 09:35 AM
RE: Fishing patterns with P70Rs?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tizor,

Q1) Is the P70s head unit capable of executing the pre-programmed fishing patterns?
A1) Fishing patterns are supported by all Evolution autopilot control heads (p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS).

Q2) Is there any good reason (other functionality, etc.) that I should opt for the rotary head with a power boat - even though that's not my first choice?
A2) Choice of control heads is one of personal preference. Like many power boaters, I too prefer a control head having push buttons over a rotary control and have p70 on my own power boat. When operating in Auto mode, I prefer to command heading changes via the p70/p70S control head's tactile buttons, as it allows me to keep my eyes on where I am going rather than having to look at a display.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply