Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ITC-5 for i70s
09-12-18, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-18 02:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ITC-5 for i70s
Dear All,

Hello it's my first post, I just ordered an i70s sailing kit for my sailing boat.
The kit is almost reaching my door as I am writing these line and now looking more in depth at the documentation. I see a note that it will have trouble connecting a compass to the ITC-5! although the "heading" information is clearly visible on the advertisment picture of the i70s....

"Raymarine Retired Product
The Fluxgate Compass is now retired and no longer supported. All instances here are for reference purposes only."

I looked a bit around and apparently any solution to provide actual heading is worth almost as much as the whole kit! And the ITC-5 document nor the note is pointing to any suitable price worthy alternatives.

I see that some raymarine fluxgates are still available on ebay for under 100$ would they still work? And if so what is the problem with them? Why was it retired and what solution will raymarine to offer so that the brand new i70s would be able to display heading on a small sail boat? without adding expensive heading solutions.

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-18, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-18 02:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ITC-5 for i70s
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sailshade,

Product documentation, Raymarine or other, is not generally updated to reflect discontinuation of accessories or the product itself. The M81190 Autopilot Fluxgate Sensor which you have referred to had been principally introduced for use with Raymarine autopilots dating from the 90's through the point when Raymarine introduced the Evolution autopilots. The latter autopilots feature a solid state 9-axis stabilized magnetic heading sensor (EV-1 / EV-2 CCU) versus the non-stabilized mechanical magnetic heading sensor used by the earlier autopilot designs, instrument compasses, and iTC-5. Due to the vastly superior heading performance of the EV-1 and EV-2, coupled with being no longer being able to service most of the older autopilot designs which utilized the M81190 Autopilot Fluxgate Sensor, Raymarine has discontinued production of the M81190. As has been suggested, remaining inventories of these fluxgate sensors are currently in the marketplace and may be used with the iTC-5 & i70/i70S MFID. Given that the combined cost of the iTC-5 and M81190 Autopilot Fluxgate Sensor is only slightly less than that of an EV-1 CCU, that the performance of the EV-1 CCU performance is vastly superior to the M81190 Autopilot Fluxgate Sensor, the life expectancy of the EV-1 CCU should be longer due to its solid state design (i.e. no moving parts), and that the EV-1 CCU may be used as part of a future Raymarine autopilot installation, most seeking to add heading data to their systems will opt for the EV-1 as has been recommended here. The EV-1 CCU requires no calibration via the i70/i70S MFID's user interface.
09-12-18, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-18 03:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ITC-5 for i70s
Thank you that is a very clear answer indeed,

I have found a third party NMEA2000 sensor ffor a mere 150$ which also claims 9 axis compensation. I must assume it comes with lower performance and does need calibration but I am looking for a solution in that price range, so would it still work adequately with the i70s?

Alternatively would a GPS from lets say an AXIOM7 be able to feed heading data to the i70s (it would cost about the same as an EV-1). I understand there is (or might be ) a significant difference between boat (hull) heading and course heading as measured by a gps (due to drift)

Thank you so much in advance
09-12-18, 04:15 PM
sailshade,

Q1. I have found a third party NMEA2000 sensor ffor a mere 150$ which also claims 9 axis compensation. I must assume it comes with lower performance and does need calibration but I am looking for a solution in that price range, so would it still work adequately with the i70s?
A1. The i70/i70S MFIDs will indeed support repeating heading data from a NMEA 2000 heading data source. However, any calibration/alignment required for the third party sensor would have to be performed in the manner specified by the sensor manufacturer.

Q2. Alternatively would a GPS from lets say an AXIOM7 be able to feed heading data to the i70s (it would cost about the same as an EV-1). I understand there is (or might be ) a significant difference between boat (hull) heading and course heading as measured by a gps (due to drift)
A2. Per the previously referenced FAQ, GPS sensors (with the possible exception of a GPS compass) are incapable of sensing magnetic heading unless they have been additionally designed with additional magnetic north seeking circuitry (ex. some Airmar weather stations are feature heading output). Raymarine MFDs are likewise not designed to sense magnetic heading. Like external GPS sensors, the internal GPS sensors of Raymarine MFDs are designed to sense position, COG, and SOG.
09-12-18, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-18 07:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1.
Thank you, understood.

Q2.
I guess COG could be displayed in lieu of HDG for some purposes.

have a good day.
09-13-18, 07:51 AM
Sailshade,

The i70/i70S MFIDs are capable of repeating a number of data items from SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 sources, including COG. Within Raymarine products, COG and SOG may not be used as a substitute within performance sailing calculations requiring heading and speed through water. On such calculation is that of True Wind and Ground Wind. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.