Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Magnetron heater fail,,now what?
09-14-18, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-18 03:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Magnetron heater fail,,now what?
Hello,
I just installed a used ( but ostensibly working when previously removed) C120 mfd with an RD218, 2KW radome. Upon installation and testing, I am getting no radar echoes. The screen looks fine, and the waypoints, rings, ebl and vrm all show. A self diagnostic test indicates " shp fail" and " magnetron heater fail".
What tests can I do to determine if it can be rectified in place ( getting it put up there was a multi- day event!), or am I flogging a dead horse?
I am competent with tools and a multi-meter- the height, not so much, but let's do what we can to get this thing working asap.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-18, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-18 03:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Magnetron heater fail,,now what?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joe,

It is recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that its batteries be permitted to attain a fully charged state, and that afterwards and while still connected to shore power that the system be tested again. Should the problem persist, then please note that the magnetron heater failure which you have referenced would have previously required that the radome be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be serviced. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer service the RD218 and RD424 radomes and Raymarine has not produced radome designs following the RD218 and RD424 which are compatible with C-Series Classic MFDs. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a second hand RD218 radome be sought from the second hand market (recommend searching the Internet). Alternatively, it would be necessary to replace both the radome and the MFD with currently manufactured equipment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply