Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E120w upgrade to e125 vs e127 e128
12-18-18, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-18 03:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E120w upgrade to e125 vs e127 e128
Hello, I would be very grateful if you could help me with a doubt about the raymarine units i have un my boat. At present, I have a
Raymarime e120w Chartplotter,
Raymarime smarpilot s1
Raymarime ST8002, and a
Raymarime DSM30.
Raymarine seatalk

Raymerine RD418 4KW 18" radome
I would like to change my E120w for a refurbished E125, and my first question is if this multifunction display (E125) is compatible with the rest of my raymarine units? The second question is that, in case that I decide to adquire a E127 or E128 multifunction display, which units should I have to replace or which equipments would i need to install? Would my transductor would be compatible with the E127 or E128 (I don't know which model is the transductor I have, but one compatible with the DSM30? Thank you very much for your time. Best regards, thanks very much
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-18, 03:47 PM
RE: [CA11] E120w upgrade to e125 vs e127 e128
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jose,

Please note that Raymarine has not produced a radome having the product name RD418, but has produced radomes having the product names RD418D and RD418HD.

Q1. Is an e125 MFD compatible with the rest of my raymarine equipment?
A1. Yes. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the equipment which is presently interfaced to you E120W E-Series Widescreen MFD may be adapted to instead be interfaced to and e125 or e127 MFD.

Q2. In case that I decide to adquire a E127 or E128 multifunction display, which units should I have to replace or which equipments would i need to install?
A2. Please note that Raymarine has not produced a product having the name e128. However, Raymarine has produced a product having the name eS128. Within a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs, product names ending "5" feature no internal fishfinder circuity; product names ending in "7" or "D" feature internal 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder circuitry; and product names ending in "8" feature internal low power, high frequency CHIRP fishfinder sonar / DownVision fishfinder sonar. Raymarine e125, e127, eS127, and eS128 MFDs would all be interfaced/adapted to your existing equipment n the manner specified within the FAQ referenced in the response to Q1.
12-20-18, 01:55 PM
Hello Chuck, thanks for your quick response.

As you say the radar is an RD418D 4kW 18 "radome.
I wanted to update the equipment, but the question is how I connect it, the truth is that I am not a professional, but I would like to be able to set everything up.
As I was saying at the moment I have an E120w and I wanted to update to an Es125 or an Es127 or an Es128.
For the Es127 and Es128, would the transducer that I have be valid? (I do not know what it is, I do not see it, but it has to be a compliant one with a DSM30)
Can you guide me on the electrical diagram a bit?
Thanks for everything
I take the occasion to congratulate the Christmas
12-20-18, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-18 02:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jose,

Q1. I wanted to update the equipment, but the question is how I connect it, the truth is that I am not a professional, but I would like to be able to set everything up.
A1. This question was addressed in detail by the FAQ referenced within my previous response. Unfortunately, we don't have the bandwidth to produce custom diagrams for customers. However, we can comment on diagrams which are provided by customers. In summary, the eS127/eS128 MFD will be interfaced to the existing Ethernet network which includes the MFD, radome, and DSM30 by simply unplugging the SeaTalkhs Cable(s) from the interface panel on the back side of the E120W, and then connecting an A80160 SeaTalkhs (F) to SeaTalkhs (F) Adaptor between each SeaTalkhs Cable and the eS127/eS128 MFD's Ethernet NETWORK (RayNet) socket. The autopilot will be adapted to be interfaced to the eS127/eS128 MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.

Q2. As I was saying at the moment I have an E120w and I wanted to update to an Es125 or an Es127 or an Es128.
A2. Raymarine has not produced a product having the name eS125. Within the 12" eS-Series MFDs, only eS127 and eS128 MFDs were produced. These two MFDs differed only in the type of internal sonar circuitry which was included within the MFD's construction. When interfaced to external sonar modules, these MFDs will assume the fishfinding features of not only fishfinder circuitry within the MFD, but also with the external sonar module. The method of interfacing each of these MFDs is identical with regard to how they would be interfaced to the currently installed devices featuring an Ethernet communications interface (DSM30 and RD418D Radome). Additionally, the method of interfacing each of these MFDs is identical with regard to how they would be interfaced to the currently installed devices featuring an SeaTalk communications interface (S1G, ST8002, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor (assumed)).

Q3. For the Es127 and Es128, would the transducer that I have be valid? (I do not know what it is, I do not see it, but it has to be a compliant one with a DSM30)
A3. Should the DSM30 be operational, then there would be no need to remove it. It would simply be interfaced to the eS127 MFD or eS128 MFD in the manner specified for Ethernet devices within my response to Q1. The transducer (assumed to be operational) may remain interfaced to the DSM30. Should the system include the DSM30, then you may replace the E120W with either an eS127 or an eS128 MFD. However, should you elect to remove the DSM30 from the system, then it should be replaced with a CP370 ClearPulse Sonar Module or an eS127 MFD would need to be purchased. If opting to not use a DSM30 or CP370 within your system, then an eS127 MFD would need to be purchased and the currently installed transducer would need to be adapted (part #E66066) to be mated to the eS127 MFD's TRANSDUCER socket.
12-20-18, 02:59 PM
Hello Chuck
thank you very much for your answer, you have helped me a lot.
When I have studied I will make a scheme not to break anything and I send it if you could help me again
Thank you for helping us all, I wish you a Merry Christmas
12-20-18, 03:01 PM
You're welcome.
04-08-19, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-19 07:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have installed 2 plotters. I have an eS125 connected to the cockpit via a SeaTalkhs Network Switch (E55058) via an A80160 cable. To the SeaTalkhs Nework Switch I have connected the radar and the probe. The Es95 is also connected to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch via adapter cable A62360.
Software V19.00-00002
multimedia V17.03-00005

In addition to this I have installed Smartcontroller, Raymarine Lifetag. In the Es95 everything works correctly. But in the eS125, only maps and GPS work. The light of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch where the eS125 is connected does not turn on. If I change the eS125 for the eS95, all else unchanged,the eS95 works perfectly. It seems that it does not communicate with the SeaTalkhs Network switch nor with SeaTalkng. If you think it's necessary, I'll send you wiring diagram
04-08-19, 08:00 AM
Jose,

Should the cockpit's MFD be verified to communicate with the radar transducer when when swapped with the navigation station's MFD, then there would appear to be a fault with either 1) the port of the SeaTalkhs Network being used to interface the cockpit MFD to the system's Ethernet network or 2) a fault within the SeaTalkhs Cable and/or adapter used to interface the SeaTalkhs Cable the cockpit MFD to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. To fault isolate the problem, it would be recommended that the recommended that the SeaTalkhs cable connecting the navigation station's MFD to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch be unplugged from the switch and that it instead be connected to the port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch which the cockpit MFD's cable is presently interfaced to. If after doing so, the navigation station's MFD continues to be able to communicate with the radar transducer, then the tested port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch would be deemed to be operational and the fault would appear to to be within the cockpit MFD's SeaTalkhs Cable or adapter. Similary, if the navigation station's MFD is then unable to communicate with the radar transducer, then the tested port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch would be deemed to have suffered a failure and it would be recommended that another port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch be used.
04-09-19, 02:00 AM
Hello Chuck
Thank you for your quick response .
The Es125 MFD does not communicate with anything, nor using the seatalk ng, neither the seatalk hs (rj45) ports.
To detect and isolate the problem I have carried out several tests.
1)I have disconnected everything and I have connected only an external GPS to the network sealtalk ng 5-way Connector being used to interface the Es125 MFD, and it does not detect the GPS. Then, I have replaced the Es125 for the Es95 MFD, and it receives the GPS signal perfectly.
2)I have connected the radar and the DSM to the sealtalk hs (rj45) Switch that interfaces the Es125 MFD, and the cockpit navigation system does not communicate with the radar nor with the DSM. But If I swap to the Es95 cockpit MFD, this last one communicates with both of them.
3) I have unplugged the SeaTalkhs cable connecting the navigation station's MFD to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch from the switch and I have instead connected it to the port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch which the cockpit MFD's cable is presently interfaced to. The Es125 MFD does not communicate with the radr transducer, neither with the DSM. But when connecting the another MFD (Es95), this one communicates perfectly.

So, I think that the seatalk hs network switch is deemed to be operational, since it works perfectly with the Es95. And the fault would be within the Es125 MFD seatalk hs cable or adapter. But it’s strange that it seems to be also a fault within the seatalk ng network with the same MFD. Could it be a configuration problem or, on the contrary, both MFD adapters (ng and hs) would have a problem?
It is as if the eS125 did not receive frames, as if it had the communication ports disabled.
Thanks very much
04-09-19, 10:28 AM
Jose,

Q1)I have disconnected everything and I have connected only an external GPS to the network sealtalk ng 5-way Connector being used to interface the Es125 MFD, and it does not detect the GPS. Then, I have replaced the Es125 for the Es95 MFD, and it receives the GPS signal perfectly.
A1) Only a MFD which has been configured as the system's Data Master MFD will have an operational SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. Should you have configured the eS125 as the system's Data Master MFD when performing the test of its SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface and the MFD not communicate with the GPS sensor, then the MFD would be deemed to have a faulty SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interace.

Q2)I have connected the radar and the DSM to the sealtalk hs (rj45) Switch that interfaces the Es125 MFD, and the cockpit navigation system does not communicate with the radar nor with the DSM. But If I swap to the Es95 cockpit MFD, this last one communicates with both of them.
3) I have unplugged the SeaTalkhs cable connecting the navigation station's MFD to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch from the switch and I have instead connected it to the port of the SeaTalkhs Network Switch which the cockpit MFD's cable is presently interfaced to. The Es125 MFD does not communicate with the radr transducer, neither with the DSM. But when connecting the another MFD (Es95), this one communicates perfectly.

So, I think that the seatalk hs network switch is deemed to be operational, since it works perfectly with the Es95. And the fault would be within the Es125 MFD seatalk hs cable or adapter.
A2. In none of the test cases specified, did you specify that the eS125 MFD was able to communicate with the radar transducer and DSM. It would be recommended that the eS125 be temporarily moved to the navigation station (the same power, Ethernet, and SeaTalkng cables used with the eS95 MFD would then be connected to the eS125 and the eS125 MFD would be configured as a Data Master MFD. Should the eS125 MFD be then able to communicate with the radar transducer and DSM, then the eS125 MFD's Ethernet communications interface would be deemed to be operational ... focus should then turn to the SeaTalkhs Cable and adapter used to connect the cockpit station the the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. Similarly, should the eS125 MFD be then able to communicate with the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 network when tested as specified, then the eS125 MFD's SeaTalkng /NMEA 2000 communications interface would be deemed to be operational.