Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ST2000+ not heading correctly in track mode
01-17-19, 08:56 PM
RE: [TG11] ST2000+ not heading correctly in track mode
Hello Dave,

Well spotted! If a pilot steers well in Auto but not in Track mode then a heading error is almost always the cause, and incorrect or inconsistent Variation is a very common cause. For anyone else reading this, chartplotters work in True, whereas pilots steer to magnetic heading, so a conversion for the local magnetic variation needs to be applied. Depending on what's connected and how, the applied variation can be correct, inverted, double-applied or zero, and all except the first of these will cause incorrect conversion and inability to steer correctly in Track mode.

In your case, Dave, I think you're not getting variation through the convertor from the A70D on STNG to the ST1 side. One test for this would be to toggle the ST60+ Graphic between True and Magnetic heading display. I suspect you'll see both showing the same value (zero variation.)

You can manually configure variation on the ST2000+ in the Calibration menu. See section 6.1, p60 of the ST2000+ handbook.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [TG11] ST2000+ not heading correctly in track mode - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-17-19 08:56 PM