Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95
02-11-19, 11:07 AM
RE: [CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95
Rdubs,

Q1. That FAQ looked more to answer the compatibility with the Axiom, whereas I'd need to go with a eS9X upgrade, but it sounds like the eS9X would only have limited data sharing with the e95, if I read it right.
A1. Incorrect and incorrect. As you had initially specified that you wanted to replace the failing e95 MFD with an Axiom MFD, the FAQ was intended to indicate that the Axiom MFD would be incompatible with the e95 MFD. It was my recommendation that the failed e95 MFD be replace to an refurbished e95 MFD to provide an exact duplication of previously capabilities with not need for replacing cables or modifying the mounting surface to accept the replacement MFD ... i.e. plug and play. While an eS95 MFD running LightHouse II v19.03 software may be used to replace the e95 MFD, the mounting surface would need to be modified to accept an eS9x MFD, the eS9x MFD differs in appearance / bezel to the e95 MFD, and an eS9x MFD would likely cost more than the refurbished e95 MFD.

Q2. So it looks like if I wanted to upgrade the best choice would be an eS9X.
A2. I disagree ... see the response to Q1.

Three quick questions:
Q3. Can I just plug in the same cables (network, power, etc.) currently going into my e95's into the eS9X's?
A3. Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input, Ethernet Network, and SeaTalkng cables/sockets are identical for the e95 MFDs and eS9x MFDs.

Q4. Do the eS9X's use the same cutout as the e95, or would I need to use a Dremel tool or something to widen the cutout?
A4. The cutout for the e95 and eS95 MFDs are not the same ... see the response to Q1.

Q4) I've read the differences between the eS97 and eS98, but should I pick one but not the other to replace the e95? I know these eS's have built-in sonars, but right now with my e95 I just use the external sonar modules for my CP100 and CP200, which I'm fine keeping as-is. Also, not that it would be ideal, but can I mix and match the eS97 and eS98, so one MFD would be a 97 and the other would be a 98?
A4. Given the currently installed fishfinder sounder modules, it wouldn't matter which model of eS9x MFD(s) will be installed. Like a/c/e/gS-Series MFDs, eS-Series MFDs may be mixed and matched in any combination or with any model of a/c/e/gS-Series MFD. Given that you already have the specified fishfinder sounder modules, eSx8 MFDs would be typically recommended as they are less expensive than eSx7 MFDs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Newer MFD compatibility with e95 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-11-19 11:07 AM