Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection
02-13-19, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-19 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection
Andy,

Q1. I do not believe this radar cable has a video interface. I believe it is an older system.
A1. C-Series Classic MFDs exclusively supported radomes and open array pedestals featuring an analog video interface. In the case of E-Series MFDs, these MFD were compatible it both radar transducers having an analog video interface and radar transducers having an Ethernet communications interface. Per my last response, should the radar cable have been connected to a socket labeled "RADAR", then the radar cable is designed to support a radar transducer having an analog video interface. Radar transducers having an Ethernet communications interface will be interfaced to the system's SeaTalkhs Network Switch or to the MFD's Ethernet Network (SeaTalkhs) socket.

Q2. Would I still follow the same splicing thread you referenced or would this be a simpler junction box / terminal strip connection? since your thread indicates that splicing is acceptable (and often done), do you have a diagram of the cable (number and size of the internal wires)?
A2. You're overthinking this task. As indicated within the previously referenced thread, a third party weather-proof marine grade junction box or terminal strip. When joining the two radar cable segments one would simply match leads of the same color from each cable segment. The shield from the two cable segments should also be joined together. Please click here to view a FAQ which provides information on the number of leads within an analog radar cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] replacing C80 with two E80's Seatalk connection - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-13-19 12:57 PM