Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Adding a second Axiom
03-02-19, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-19 04:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Adding a second Axiom
I currently have an axiom 9 RV 3D with RV 100 transducer. The unit is networked to Ray 52 and EV100 autopilot. I am thinking of adding a second axiom 9 display (chart plotter only). Are there any extra advantages to doing this other than more screen space?

To connect these units If I purchased a Ray cable A62361, do I just update each unit to the most recent software, shut down, connect the cable and turn both units on? Next would I be prompted to select the RV as the “master”? Are these steps correct? Any other steps I would need to take? Would I need to put the included Navionics chart in the second unit as well? Do I need to do the set up wizard for the second unit, or will this change automatically once networked? Anything else I should know about adding the second axiom?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-19, 02:13 PM
RE: [CA11] Adding a second Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wavemaster,

Q1. Are there any extra advantages to doing this other than more screen space?
A1. No additional features (other than another potential source of GPS data) would be added to the system by simply interfacing the currently installed Axiom 9 RV to an Axiom 9 MFD. The interfaced Axiom 9 MFD would then share all resources and features which are presently supported by the Axiom Axiom 9 RV MFD. The primary reason for adding additional MFDs to the system is to improve situational awareness by being using the MFDs to simultaneously view different features of the marine environment. The second most common reason for adding additional MFDs to the system is to be able to access system data and control various system features at other locations onboard the vessel (ex. flybridge, tuna tower, navigation station, berthing space, salon, etc.).

Q2. To connect these units If I purchased a Ray cable A62361, do I just update each unit to the most recent software, shut down, connect the cable and turn both units on? Next would I be prompted to select the RV as the “master”?
A2. It is certainly possible to update and interface the MFDs in the manner which you have suggested. After doing so, the system will prompt the operator to identify which MFD will function as the system's Data Master. In this case, the currently installed MFD would be designated as the system's Data Master.

Q3. Any other steps I would need to take?
A3. Negative.

Q4. Would I need to put the included Navionics chart in the second unit as well?
A4. Negative. Cartography will be shared between the MFDs. In this case, it woudl be recommended that the new MFD be purchased without bundled a Navionics bundled chart card ... a potential cost savings.

Q5. Do I need to do the set up wizard for the second unit, or will this change automatically once networked?
A5. Negative. This information is maintained in the system's Data Master MFD

Q6. Anything else I should know about adding the second axiom?
A6. Negative.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply