Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer not working right in shallows
03-04-19, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 10:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer not working right in shallows
I have an Airmar B45 depth and temp transducer powered by a DSM300 and displayed on a E90W.

Lately whenever the boat is in shallow water, below around 15' or so, the signal seems to go haywire. Below is a picture of what I see from the MFD. Not that the depth is not reading anything. I was probably in around 9'-12' of water at that point.

The problem seems to go away in deeper when both the depth and the graphical fish finding functions seem to work properly.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-19, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-19 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Transducer not working right in shallows
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Argyle38,

When operating in shallow waters, 50kHz/200kHz sounders will usually track the bottom as long as the depth of water beneath the transducer is no less than 3 feet. It is recommended that the face of the transducer be inspected to ensure that it is free of marine growth. If so, and the problem persists, then it would be recommended that the problem be replicated and at that location that the DSM300 then be tested with another compatible transducer which would simply be suspended over the side while the vessel is stationary or drifting in water of the depth specified to fault isolate the problem to the DSM300 or to the transducer. Please note that Raymarine can no longer service DSM30/300 fishfinder sounder modules. Should the problem not be repeated with the test transducer, then it would be recommended that the DSM300 and its power cable be replaced with a CP370 and the power cable supplied with the CP370 (do not use the power cable which is presently used to power the DSM300).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply