Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector
07-30-19, 07:50 PM
RE: [LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector
So some time has gone by since I first posted this question. It's a year later and I've just now gotten down to my installation. As a refresher, I am networking the following equipment:

2 x E120 Classic mfd's
Raystar 125
Autohelm ST5000+ AP
DSM300
Pathfinder 10kw open array

I have everything hooked up now except the radar array, and it is all working as expected with one exception. My initial question was how to interface the ST5000+ with the E120's. After considering the advice here, I opted to interface them by utilizing a ST1 to STng converter. I did this as my next upgrade will likely be a Raystar 150 GPS antenna (native STng) to replace the old Raystar 125 (NMEA 0183 or ST1), and I liked the idea of having the STng components in place for that and any other upgradability.

My mfd's are not recognizing the ST5000+. I connected the ST5000+ to the yellow port of the converter with the supplied ST1 cable as directed. I connected the converter to the mfd running an STng to E Series cable from one of the white STng ports of the convereter to the ST2 port on the E120 Classic Data Master. The STng converter is not separately powered, as it is getting it's power from the interfaced ST5000+, as directed in the installation manual. I terminated both blue ports of the converter with the supplied terminator plugs.

The mfd has the latest software v5.69 I think it is. I've checked and re-checked the quality of all connections. Transducer Status icon shows No Pilot ("X" through it). It senses no ST devices and no STng devices. I have no AP track control option when I choose Go To...

The AP itself works fine, and is clearly sending heading data to the E120. So, I'm confused why it is not fully recognized and providing AP control functions? Wasn't sure if the ST5000+ needed independent position data, so I did connect the Raystar 125 to the ST5000+ via the NMEA 0183 inputs - but no luck there either. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [LW11] SeaTalk Converter vs Connector - Tizor - 07-30-19 07:50 PM