The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating
03-17-19, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-19 01:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating
I replaced my C80 with an E80 at the helm (yes I needed a new NavPod). I also put an E80 at my Nav Station below deck. The E80 at the helm has the Radar, NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, and HS Ethernet SeaTalk connected. The E80 at the Nav has the NMEA 0183 connected to my GX2200 AIS radio as well as SeaTalk and HS Ethernet.
Before I plugged in the ethernet between E80's, I checked that the AIS was communicating with the E80 at the Nav station perfectly. I then piggybacked the NMEA
Connection (block connector) with the Helm and Nav on one side and AIS radio on the other and the Nav sees the AIS but the Helm doesn't. I tested the output + and - wires from the helm and I see pulsing voltage from .6 to 2V. But when I check the buffer it shows an output signal and no receiving data.
I then connected the ethernet cable and they both have AIS signal. However now I have to identify one MFD as the master and if I want AIS at the helm I have to have both E80's on. The NMEA 0183 wire from the helm is in a horrible location under the cockpit and will be extremely difficult to replace. Since it appears to be putting out signal I would believe that it is properly connected to the E80. So my two questions are: 1) Is there any way to test the NMEA 0183 receiving component of the cable or setting on the E80 other than the 38400 Baud (which it is set to) before I try to replace the cable?? and 2) With the Ethernet connection and master and slave setting of the two E80's do I run the risk of loosing access to the SeaTalk data of my other ST60 instruments that are connected to the Helm E80 (set to Master) if I shut down the Nav station E80??
Thank you for suffering through this long thread
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Verifying NMEA cable function - AIS not communicating - andyschoenb - 03-17-19 05:26 PM