Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to connect Simrad MSD50 drive to new es78 MFD
05-17-16, 10:22 PM
Best way to connect Simrad MSD50 drive to new es78 MFD
I have a OMC Cobra, cable driven, power assisted sterndrive on 24 ft Trophy. My primary need is to steer the boat while trolling. I recently bought a Raymarine es78 MFD. I would like to steer the boat from the es78 while keeping my existing Simrad MSD50 electro-mechanical drive and Simrad RS300 rudder feedback unit as both are in excellent condition. Down the road I would like to add a P70 or P70R at the back of the boat or maybe a hand held remote. What alternatives can you offer to go about this? I don't quite yet understand whether the Evolution 100 series is capable of doing this? If not, is another model like the 200 a possibility? Or just stay with some of the old Simrad junction box, compass, etc.? The MSD50 is 12 volts and draws 3 amps. The manual states it generates a feedback signal. If you could provide a overall summary what you might recommend with list of items needed, that would be great.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-16, 10:22 AM
RE: Best way to connect Simrad MSD50 drive to new es78 MFD
I don't have any experience with working with this drive, we don't have a stern drive currently in our product line. I have spoken to my contact at Simrad and he explained that the MSD50 is equivalent to a Type 2 drive in our autopilot systems, so I would have to recommend that the drive be connected to our EV-400 .

I also have to inform you that the Simrad rudder reference unit will not work with our system and you will have to mount our rotary rudder reference in the system in order for the best performance of a stern drive system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply