Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Potential Upgrade to my E97 MFD and Transducer
04-10-19, 01:14 PM
RE: [CA11] Potential Upgrade to my E97 MFD and Transducer
Frank,

Q1. What does it take to replace the current thru hull transducer? Does it require a complete removal and new installation or is it possibly just replacing the internal or in hull part of the transducer not requiring modification to the existing [censored] already there?
A1. It would be necessary to remove the entire transducer. Thru-hulls are commonly sealed with 3M 4200. Removing the transducer typically involves removing the transducer's locking nut and the rotating the transducer's housing to break the seal. After doing so, the transducer housing is pushed from inside of the hull toward the outside of the hull. Doing so is a fairly easy process and there are a number of videos on YouTube demonstrating how one would go about doing removing an replacing a thru-hull transducer.

Q2. Also what would I get as far as views if I were to purchase a new Element unit and all in one transducer? It looks like it may be better quality images of structure, etc? The lake I am on was previously farmland that was flooded in the 1930's so my main reason for buying this is underwater identification of rock piles and stone walls, tree stumps, etc.
A2. the sonar imaging supported by element is similar to that supported by the Axiom Pro RVX system and RealVision transducer referenced within my initial response. Because of the higher frequencies used by Element, imaging is a bit better. However, HyperVision is limited to 300'. Element's 3D imaging is not corrected for heading and attitude as is 3D imaging from an Axiom RV or Axiom Pro RVX system.

Q3. I would be adding the Element GPS unit to my boat and keep my already existing E97.
A3. The Element chartplotter fishfinders are also not designed to be networked with MFDs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Potential Upgrade to my E97 MFD and Transducer - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-10-19 01:14 PM