Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] RF Bonding
04-16-19, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-19 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] RF Bonding
Hello. I am currently installing the below listed devices that require RF grounding. My sailboat does have a bonding system separate from the DC system. I do not have a HF/SSB radio. I have been unable to find the specific answers to the below questions by searching the forum or in the instructions.

Installing:

- Axiom Pro 9
- ACU 100 and wheel drive

Q1: On the Axiom Pro, which will be in a NavPod, can I connect the standard power cord drain wire and the optional RF drain together inside the NavPod, then connect those to a common RF Drain that leaves the NavPod and connects to the vessels bonding system? I assume I don't need to run 2 separate wires.

Q2) Does the "optional grounding point" on the back of the Axiom Pro 9S have plastic over it? It doesn't seem to want to move. Do I really just force/pry this off and there is an attachment point under there? In the technical documents it shows a screw, but on the actual device there is tiny piece of plastic that "looks like" it can be separated from the device, but is documented differently.

Q3) I have read in the instructions that 8ga wire is recommended for RF Ground, but then also read in the forum that 14ga is fine. Is 14ga OK for a run of about 12ft in the above installation?

Q4) I am also installing a Quantum 2 Radar using Digital Radar Cable A55078D. Based on installation instructions, please confirm that I do NOT need an RF ground on this, so I can basically dead-end the green wire from the A55078D?

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-19, 03:51 PM
RE: [CA11] RF Bonding
Q1: On the Axiom Pro, which will be in a NavPod, can I connect the standard power cord drain wire and the optional RF drain together inside the NavPod, then connect those to a common RF Drain that leaves the NavPod and connects to the vessels bonding system? I assume I don't need to run 2 separate wires.
A1. Correct and you do not need to run two separate wires.

Q2) Does the "optional grounding point" on the back of the Axiom Pro 9S have plastic over it? It doesn't seem to want to move. Do I really just force/pry this off and there is an attachment point under there? In the technical documents it shows a screw, but on the actual device there is tiny piece of plastic that "looks like" it can be separated from the device, but is documented differently.
A2) Indeed, the cover which you are referring to is simply a thin vinyl cover held on with sticky adhesive. A knife or flat bladed jeweler's screw driver would be used to pry this cover off.

Q3) I have read in the instructions that 8ga wire is recommended for RF Ground, but then also read in the forum that 14ga is fine. Is 14ga OK for a run of about 12ft in the above installation?
A3) For proper bonding, follow the recommendations stated within the manual.

Q4) I am also installing a Quantum 2 Radar using Digital Radar Cable A55078D. Based on installation instructions, please confirm that I do NOT need an RF ground on this, so I can basically dead-end the green wire from the A55078D?
A4) The RF drain lead of the Quantum radome should indeed be used. If the vessel lacks a bonding plate, then the bonding cable would be connected to the engine block (for inboard engines), or lastly the battery's negative terminal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply