Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] AXIOM MFD loses Quantum radome irregularly
04-24-19, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 07:11 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] AXIOM MFD loses Quantum radome irregularly
I installed the following system in my boat and tested now for first 2 days:

Quantum Q24D Doppler 18" radome connected via a cable to HS5 RayNet network switch and from there by RayNet cable 2 m to AXIOM 12 RV 12" MFD. In addition, a RV-100 RealVision 3D is connected to the MFD directly and RMK-10 MFD remote control via the HS5.

Everything works otherwise perfectly, but the radar gets lost irregularly so that when one starts the system by the touchswitch of the MFD, the message is first "connecting to radar" and then "no radar found". The weird thing is sometimes, when starting the system everything works perfectly till shutting off the system after the trip: when turning the system on the radar is first on standby and then one presses "transmit" => and it works normally).

I have tried to find a power problem (bad connection or so), but there are none. I have not yet measured from the radar end of the power cable, however.

Is this for sure a power problem or can there be other possible reasons?

best regards,
mika pohjonen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-19, 11:00 AM
RE: [LW11] AXIOM MFD loses Quantum radome irregularly
Dear Mika,

Thank you for your query.

My first question is about software. Have you got the most up to date software installed in all of your products?

Can you perform a software update on your installation,the lastest release Lighthouse 3.9 Annapolis and download instructions are available here.

This should resolve the symptoms of your Quantum not waking up, there is a previous bug fix in our software releases to fix this.

Many Thanks
Louise
04-24-19, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-19 03:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear Louise,
Thank you for your swift response.
I just bought the system and replaced 18 years old pathfinder setup - and to be honest, I have not studied the manuals that much and do not have a clue how to update the software of MFD (and the manuals are on board and not on this computer...) - I am downloading the upgrade but how then to install it on the MFD on board?
best regards,
mika
04-25-19, 08:05 AM
Dear Mika,

Please find the software update instructions here.

Many Thanks
Louise
04-25-19, 10:53 AM
Thanks Louise,

Software updated to 3.9.46. Unfortunately the same problem persists, ie. "connecting to radar" and then "no radar found".

Other tips?

best regards,
mika
04-26-19, 06:22 AM
Dear Mika,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you take me through the steps on how you initially setup the radar? How far is the radar sited from the the Axiom? Are you using the WiFi connection on the Quantum?

Did you have WiFi switched on and the radar connected with Raynet?

Can you try the process again but disconnect the Raynet connection and pair the quantum? Once this process is done you can then reconnect the Raynet cable.

Do ensure there is a sufficient power supply to the Quantum.

Many Thanks
Louise
04-29-19, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi,

Also referring to question of Bhngh of losing dome, I tell what happened with my issue. We went through the powering and although part of the cabling was from the previous pathfinder setup, everything was OK (as was the case when we installed the system in March - April). I then went up and unlocked the power cable from the dome, put it back and locked. And the dome started to work; 20 test starts and 2*1,5 hours at sea in quite bumpy conditions. It is hard to believe that the power connection locked in place when installing could have been the cause of irregular operation (losing the connection irregularly) but now it really seems that this was the case. Whether it is then the plug itself or some problem inside the dome after the plug it is impossible to say of course.

best regards,
mika
04-29-19, 10:13 AM
Dear Mika,

I recommend getting a local authorised Raymarine dealer on-board to take a look for you, you can find one here.

Many Thanks
Louise
04-29-19, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-19 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have been having the same issues with my Quantum and e127 display. Very frustrating to not have a dependable radar.
05-01-19, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-19 05:55 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear tonyiiiafl,

Thank you for your post.

What software versions are you currently running on the e127 and the quantum?
Is there a sufficient, consistent power supply to the radar? What is the voltage at the radar end of the cable?
Check the radar cables to make sure there is no damage link kinks or nicks in the cable run.
Is the radar connected on a HS5 switch, what colour is the LED indicator on the radar port and the frequency of the LED? Have you tried changing the port on the HS5 switch?
Have you tried plugging the radar directly in to the back of the MFD? Does the radar operate correctly?
Are all connections clean and free of corrosion/ faults?

Many Thanks
Louise