Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Pathfinder Gain Setting
05-22-19, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 12:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Pathfinder Gain Setting
I have a 4kW 48" Pathfinder open array that is hooked up to an RL80C display. I am testing this setup prior to installing. I understand that there are very limited spares and support for these older units.

It is hooked up to a 20A-12V power supply in my backyard (tall wooden fence and 2-story houses on all sides within 50-100' radius). Scanner is sitting on sawhorses on the ground. Display is approx. 20' away inside my workshop. Diagnostics menu seems to indicate that everything is fine, and in checking various data points with information in service manual (Doc. No. 83147) I didn't notice any serious outliers. Auto tune wants to adjust gain to around 40-50%, at this gain setting there are no echoes whatsoever. Manually adjusting the gain to 80% will begin to yield some echoes, and at 90% (as in attached picture) there are strong yellow echoes right around unit and general blue clutter at a further radius. I understand that this environment is not a good test for judging radar performance.

My questions are (1) if the auto tune setting is what is to be expected in this case, and also (2) if it is normal to not see echoes in this type of environment until the gain is cranked up above 80%.

As always, thanks for the help.

Evan

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-19, 12:31 PM
RE: [CA11] Pathfinder Gain Setting
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Evan,

Q1. if the auto tune setting is what is to be expected in this case
A1. Auto tune should not be used by any person other than a radar technician,

Q2. Is it normal to not see echoes in this type of environment until the gain is cranked up above 80%.
A2. If the sea clutter setting has been configured too high, then the performance which you have describe will occur. Should the problem persist after reducing the sea clutter setting, then it would indicate a problem within the radar transducer's circuitry. As you have suggested, Raymarine can no longer service radar transducers which were designed for use with hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays, nor are replacements available.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply